"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Friday, June 3, 2011

He Shields Us

Pictured below is proof that I really did spend a lot of time sandbagging this week!



As you can see, this was a massive project! The dike surrounding this home is 5 - 6 feet high and 10+ feet wide. We estimate it to have about 30,000 sandbags! That is a lot of sand and A LOT of heavy labor!


It was absolutely incredible to see this project take shape. Many people who were strangers a week ago, sweated side by side, to create this wall. About the time one of us would be totally exhausted, someone fresh would pull into the yard to lend a hand or bring us food. I have never been a part of a project that was such HARD PHYSICAL WORK! I truly had no idea how strong I could be! I have never been a part of a project where so many people dropped everything - to serve! This project was such a beautiful picture of TRUE COMMUNITY!


In the midst of this project, God showed me this verse. It "mysteriously" appeared on my desk calendar on one morning when I was tired, sore, and doubting if my service really was "needed."


"Let the beloved of the Lord rest secure in Him,

for He shields him all day long."

Deuteronomy 33:12


I am in awe of how God raises up His people to help, love, and shield His people. I have been so blessed to witness first hand, how God chose to use a crazy mish-mash of people to provide a shield around one home this week.