"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Monday, June 27, 2011

The Healing Power of SILENCE

I am reading the book of Job, as I continue my quest to read through the Bible this year.  It is a book about a man's suffering... terrible suffering.  It is an inspiring recount of how Job lost his wealth, health, and much of his family, yet never blamed God.


In all honesty, it was a part of the Bible I never really wanted to read.  Who wants to read chapters and chapters about suffering?  Not me!  It was almost as if by avoiding reading Job, I could avoid hardship.  (silly... but honest!)  Well, this year I made a vow to read the WHOLE Bible.  So I can not avoid the areas that freak me out challenge me.


Much to my surprise, I am enjoying Job.


The very first words in Job that made me pause were these:
"Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?"
Job 2:10

Do I do that?  Am I faithful and full of praise for God when things are to my liking?  How about when they are not?  Hmmmm... 

A few verses later I came to the words that have been simmering in my soul for the last few days.  (Funny how that works sometimes, I read something and it has to simmer for days.  The same words, flipping over and over in my mind at the oddest times, until their lesson is (HOPEFULLY) lodged in my heart.)

Anyway, these are the verses that God has been tossing around in my head:"

"WHEN JOB'S THREE FRIENDS, ELIPHAZ THE TEMANITE, BILDAD THE SHUHITE, AND ZOPHAR THE NAAMATHITE, HEARD ABOUT ALL THE TROUBLES THAT HAD COME UPON HIM, THEY SET OUT FROM THEIR HOMES AND MET TOGETHER BY AGREEMENT TO GO AND SYMPATHIZE WITH HIM AND COMFORT HIM.  WHEN THEY SAW HIM FROM A DISTANCE, THEY COULD HARDLY RECOGNIZE HIM; THEY BEGAN TO WEEP ALOUD, AND THEY TORE THEIR ROBES AND SPRINKLED DUST ON THEIR HEADS (WHICH IS BIBLE TALK FOR MOURNED DEEPLY).  THEN THEY SAT ON THE GROUND WITH HIM FOR SEVEN DAYS AND SEVEN NIGHTS.  No ONE SAID A WORD TO HIM, BECAUSE THEY SAW HOW GREAT HIS SUFFERING WAS."
Job 2:11-13


I love that picture.


I have been on both sides of suffering.  I have been in deep anguish and needed a friend.  I have also had friends in great pain.  In those moments, it is so easy to become the "encourager" or the "fixer."  It is so easy to start TALKING!  Many of us immediately start giving all kinds of advice, filling the air with words.  These words may be spiritual, or encouraging, or advising.  They are certainly well meaning.  They are certainly spoken in love.  


But have you ever just needed someone to SIT near you.  To cry with you.  AND NOT SPEAK?  NOT fix?  NOT encourage?  


I have.


To me there is healing in silence.  To have a friend by my side, there physically, yet SILENT... allowing me to process my own thoughts and sort things out on my own time is a beautiful gift.


However, many times when I have a friend in distress, I begin talking!  Using words of "wisdom" that are not yet wanted or needed.  Words that may be healing...  SPOKEN too soon.  I think there is a time for words (and later in the book of Job there is plenty of dialog between the friends) - but often, silence needs to come first.


I love this Biblical example of friendship.  I plan copy it.  The next time I am driving to visit a friend in distress, I will simply pray instead of planning what I MIGHT say.  (Ever done that?  Be honest now!)  Because, sometimes just being there is ALL that is needed and/or wanted.