"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Friday, November 18, 2011

Sierra's Birthday Wish

Our beautiful, spunky, and oh-so-very-kind Sierra turned 12 today!  

I love birthdays, but for weeks Sierra was dreading hers.  At first I ignored her comments of, "I don't want to have a birthday this year."  I figured she was just thinking she was too cool for a birthday.  However, last Sunday, I finally sat down with her and asked why she was not looking forward to her birthday.

She told me, "I don't want to have a birthday!  Everyone will come over and bring me presents.  Mom, I have everything I need!  I feel sad and selfish getting more stuff.  I just want to forget my birthday!"

Woah!

So, I told her that she was WAY to SPECIAL to ignore.  I refused to forget her birthday - she is totally worth celebrating!  BUT, if she really wanted to skip gifts, then maybe she could think of a way to give her birthday gifts to someone else?!

She perked up right away!  Joy reentered her eyes, and she said, "Mom could I ask for money to sponsor a child?"

I gave her a big hug and (maybe a bit tearfully) told her I thought that was a great idea!

She was so excited to "shop" for her birthday gift!

 She spent hours looking at different children's profiles on World Vision's website.
 Finally she saw a little boy that she connected with!
"MOM!  This is him! Can I sponsor him?"

She joyfully completed the online form - 
and now she is officially Fortune in Uganda's sponsor!

Here is the introductory email she sent him:
Fortune,
My name is Sierra D. My birthday is November 18.  I am 12, today is my birthday.  This year I chose to sponsor a child instead of birthday presents. I could not choose which beautiful child I should sponsor, but when I saw your purple shirt (purple is my favorite color). I knew you were the one.  You are beautiful and it was my good fortune for me to sponsor you.
Love,
Sierra Faith D

She is a pretty special girl, don't you think!

It costa $35 a month to sponsor a child.  She has 4 months covered so far.  What she does not receive in birthday money, she plans to cover with her allowance and extra jobs for mom and dad.  She has a plan, this girl of mine, and she is determined to follow it through!

WE did do a few "normal" birthday things.

Sierra chose supper,

 chinese take-out, of course!
And for dessert she chose Oreo balls.
Super yummy!

Tomorrow I am taking her and her 2 BFFs to get their hair and nails done (at the beauty school).  Then we are going to a fancy restaurant, since they will be all fancied up, for dessert.  A (no) sleep-over will follow!

It should be a super fun day!

Happy Birthday Berra-girl!
I am pinch-me-proud of you!