"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Sunday, November 6, 2011

A Spirit of Sonship

My heart has been so full this weekend - full of gratitude, full of joy, full of longing remembering.

I so clearly remember this very weekend last year.

 Chad was gone hunting, and I was looking forward to a quiet weekend with fewer kids.  Joshua had only been home 5 mo. and when I put him to bed that night he was completely overwhelmed with fear and grief.  His daddy was GONE!  His whole heart feared that his daddy, whom he was just beginning to love and trust, would never return.

My heart broke.
You can read that post here.

Only one year ago, EVERY SINGLE DECISION we made came with consideration of how that decision would affect Joshua's sense of safety, stability, and attachment.
Every . Single . One .

But this weekend, I saw first hand, the fruit of our labor.

Joshua absolutely radiated self-confidence as he swam.  Every time he scanned the pool deck to find my eyes, my heart melted.  He knows my heart and reads my expressions so perfectly.  He can tell when I think he is cute or funny or naughty or in danger or mouthy or sweet, just by the set of my jaw.  He shares the same heart to heart connection with me as his older siblings do.

It, all of it, is such a miracle.

It is a miracle that he is here.

It is a miracle that he is no longer ruled by fear.

It is a miracle that he does not just "fit in" - he is every fifth beat of my heart. Loved and loving exactly the same as his siblings.

He is a miracle.

On this, Orphan Sunday, I celebrate the miracle he is by retelling the story of how God brought him home.


I also share this video, which reminds me that although the statistics are mind numbing, it is the ONE that matters. 


Orphan Sunday 2011 from Christian Alliance for Orphans on Vimeo.

Each of us can easily choose to change the life of one.  It may be through adoption, but it may also be through child sponsorships, Operation Christmas Child, becoming foster parents, volunteering for the big brother/big sister program, going on a mission trip. . .

The list is endless.

Ultimately, the choice is yours.

Will you CHOOSE to change the life of ONE?