"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Sausage Making

Ever wonder if you married into the wrong family???

Once a year I am subjected to a long standing "inlaw"family tradition.... SAUSAGE MAKING! It is the only time I ever wonder if I was cut out to be a Chad's wife. I try, but I am just not a fan.

However, in my husband's family sausage making is almost an art form. They butcher their deer themselves - yep... Chad and the oldest kids spent days cutting meat off deer bones. Yuck! Then they cut up pork, grind the pork and venison pieces together, season it, taste test, season it some more, taste test, approve the seasoning, stuff it into casings, smoke it, cool it, package it, and FINALLY freeze it.

The first 12 (or so) years we were married, I was a big part of this process. I was not enthusiastic, but I pitched in. Sometime in the last four years Chad noticed my intense dislike for the whole messy process and has let me off the hook! I really, really appreciate that!

This year I was not only "exempt" from all parts of sausage making, but he did it all in the garage! It really was wonderful not having all that meat mess inside my kitchen.

So for the benefit of all my sausage-making-and-loving-it inlaws, I have a few pictures for you!



Sierra loves every part of sausage making!
Krissy, Jamison, and Sierra helped a ton this year! Other than skinning and quartering the deer they were involved with every step. Chad was very thankful for the enthusiastic help! (ME TOO!!!)
Joshua hung out in the garage, playing, watching, and splashing in the messy water every chance he got. In fact, I bought him new tub crayons to make coming in for bath not quite such a drag.
He loved them! (Great fine motor skill practice in disguise, too)
Krissy snapped this picture of Joshua and I watching them work. It is not too often that mom is not in the middle of the work around here!

And in case you are wondering... Joshua LOVES sausage. (He loves ALL meat!) But he thoroughly enjoyed all the taste testing involved in sausage making. They made three different types of sausage and he approved each and every one of them!