"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Thursday, November 4, 2010

True Religion

True Religion from Christian Alliance for Orphans on Vimeo.

Prior to about 15 mo. ago I honestly never gave orphans, widows, the oppresses much thought. I had skimmed right over the many, many verses in the Bible that spoke of caring for them. I guess I figured if I ever knew an orphan THEN maybe I would be called to help them.

I was wrong.

I believe that God expects us all to take care of those in need, period. If you do not know an orphan, a widow (or widower), or someone in need... find someone.

God may only "call" some of us to adopt, but we are all called to act.

"Religion that God our father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after widows and orphans in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." James 1:27

Perhaps ignoring the pain of children is one of the ways we have been polluted by the world? I confess that I did not want to know about all the hurt happening particularily in regards to children in the world. It was just too painful - so I would switch the TV channel when certain stories were played, skip certain newspaper articles, etc... I chose ignorance.

I was wrong.

"If you say, "Hey that is none of my business," will that get you off the hook? Someone is watching you closely, you know. Someone not impressed with weak excuses." Proverbs 24:12 The Message

That version of this verse is very IN YOUR FACE. It kind of takes my breath away. It makes me squirm, because I make excuses all. the. time.

The suffering in the world is totally overwhelming. It is easy to say my meager funds, time, and talents will not even scratch the surface. I believe that is another one of the enemy's lies.

Last year Krissy wanted to do something. She wanted to bring something helpful to the people of Ethiopia. She submitted a proposal to her school about a shoe drive. She made homemade posters on regular paper and hung them around the school for 2 days. On the day of the shoe drive I was worried she would be disappointed. I was concerned that in order to be "successful" more time and planning should have taken place. But when we follow, God provides. She ended up delivering over 250 pairs of shoes to children and teens in Ethiopia.

Did that provide shoes for the whole country? No. The whole city? No. But did it make a difference for 250 people. Yes.

There are still millions of people in Ethiopia without shoes, so we could choose to feel unsuccessful. However we choose to celebrate because 250 less have shoes than before we traveled.

My challenge for you is to do more this year than you did last year to care for the poorest, the loneliest. Tomorrow I will give you a few ideas as to how you could help. And some of them will not cost a dime!