"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Monday, November 29, 2010

The Stockings Were Hung by the Chimney with Care

One of the really fun and also interesting things about Joshua being almost 3 his first Christmas home is that he is both really excited and really confused about all the Christmas stuff that is going on. It is amazing how many things kids just know and "get" because they have experienced it from day one. Christmas, American style, is new and crazy and weird (yep, one of his new words) and FUN!

Saturday, we braved Hobby Lobby in order to buy Joshua his very own Christmas stocking. It was a very fun and very memorable trip.

So below is a picture of ALL the "D" stockings hung with care:


Above is a close up of the stocking that Joshua chose. Notice NO Santa? Santa is becoming less scary and more fun, but he is still DEFINITELY pretend! Joshua picked a snowman stocking with BELLS!!!! He loves, loves music so the bells were the deciding factor.

The checkout line at Hobby Lobby was crazy long, so we decided to do some browsing in the hopes that the lines would get shorter. While we were browsing, God orchestrated something really cool.

You see, I have been thinking and praying about something we could have in our home in honor of Joshua's Ethiopian mommy. I was not sure if this were necessary, but at the same time it is very important to me that we talk about and show honor and love toward the woman who gave birth to, named, and nursed our son.

Well between God Almighty and Joshua Gebeyehu, my prayer was answered on Saturday in Hobby Lobby.

While we walked the aisles ever so slowly, Joshua and Brenna pointed out dozens of things. "Mommy look at that!" was the theme of the day! But when we got to this,

Joshua's window shopping was over. He saw this beautiful angel and very quietly said, "Mommy, Joshua hold it?"

He held this angel ever so carefully and stared into the face of both the angel and the baby.

He finally said, "Joshua?" while pointing to the baby.

I asked him what he thought.

He said, "Joshua."

Then he pointed to the angel and asked, "Mommy?" so softly and tenderly.

"Is that your baby mommy, Joshua?" I whispered.

He nodded. "Mommy pretty." he whispered back.

"Yes," I said in a teary voice. "Your baby mommy is so pretty."

"She hold you Joshua." he replied.

"Yes, Joshua. I am sure your baby mommy held you and loved you and kissed you." I replied.

"Yeah" my sweet son sighed.

"Mommy buy this for you please?" he asked.

"Yes, Joshua. Mommy would love to buy this for you." I answered.

Oh my sweet Joshua Gebeyehu, how I love you. And how I love your beautiful Ethiopian mommy that I never had the honor to meet.

**I sometimes wish certain posts could be private. This was an intense sacred moment. It still gives me chills. I have wondered if it is OK to post, yet why would I not publically acknowledge the beautiful way our sweet beautiful son chose to remember his Ethiopain mommy? Joshua, if someday this seems too personal to publish - I am sorry. It is also too special to forget, my son. And I never want either one of us to forget. To heal, yes. But never to forget or in any way disregard your baby mommy. She must have been something really, really special to give birth to a son as amazing as you.