"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Africa Sugar Cookies

Today we celebrated Joshua's baptism. I will post all about that soon. In the meantime, I will share the recipe for the sugar cookies we served as dessert.

Sour Cream Sugar Cookies:
5 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
Sift together and set aside.

1 c. shortening (I used butter flavor Crisco)
2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 c. sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla
Beat until light and fluffy. Add dry ingredients. Chill several hours. Roll out. Bake 375* for 8 or 9 minutes.

(If you roll them thick and bake them 7 to 8 min. they are soft like Lofthouse sugar cookies. Roll them thinner and they will be crispy.)


I decided to bake cookies because I had purchased an Africa shaped cookie cutter from some fund raiser or another last year. When I saw the heart shaped Valentine candies at the store, I decided to copy my beloved Africa necklace onto sugar cookies. They were cute and yummy!

(Yep, I know Africa is backwards... we frosted them on the "wrong side" to correct my mistake! Hey, it was before 7 AM and I was baking, give me a break!)
Our decorating supplies.
I confess, I am not into decorating cookies. So I phoned a friend! Ashlee helped me frost and decorate about 70 cookies. Thank YOU, Ashlee!
Our finished product (or what is left of it!) I forgot to take a picture of them cutely displayed at Joshua's baptism dinner - but you get the idea!
Joshua loved them... before we put the (dis)'gusting frosting on them. We kept a couple naked ones for him!

More on the actual baptism soon. I am off to fold laundry and perhaps sneak in a nap during the Super Bowl!