"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Saturday, February 26, 2011

"Daddy put you Joshua mah tah mah tah"

Last night mommy went to a BIG meeting (aka appetizers with a girlfriend) and Daddy put Joshua to bed.

Chad had attempted to put Joshua to bed one other evening several months ago... Joshua did not do well.

This time as we talked about it during the week Joshua got more used to the idea vs. more panicked. The first time I mentioned that I was going to a big meeting Friday night and that Daddy would put him to bed, Joshua yelled "NO!!!!!" I explained that I would sleep at home but my meeting would be too long and late for me to put him to bed. He was not convinced.

Throughout the week we kept reminding him off and on that daddy would be putting him to bed on Friday. We read a book about Dora and her daddy... they did all kinds of fun things together, just like Joshua and his daddy. In the end Dora's daddy put her to bed. He thought that was very interesting. (He is a big Dora fan!)

By supper time last night Joshua was saying, "Joshua I love it daddy put you Joshua mah tah mah tah!" We nearly fell off our chairs! At that point we knew that if Joshua has a hard time at bedtime, it would not be his "fault." Joshua was doing his best to be open to and excited about his daddy time. A panic at bedtime would be an indicator that it was more than he could handle NOT Joshua being manipulative or controlling.

As I gave Joshua a bye-bye hug and smooch I asked him if I loved him when I was at meetings? He said, "YEP!" I asked if I loved him while I was at BIG meetings? "YEP!" I reminded him that I would sleep at home, but daddy would put him to bed. He told me, "It OK."

When I left Joshua was standing on the garage step waving, smiling, blowing kisses, and yelling "Bye-bye! I lub you!"

Daddy and Joshua had the house to themselves. They had a lot of fun. I have heard stories about pretending to be puppies, horsey rides, and rocking out to daddy's favorite band, "Skillet."

At bedtime they read three books. Then they spent a long while examining Joshua's new favorite picture. It is of me, posing with my horse and dog, as a senior in high school.

Joshua is fascinated by it. He and daddy agreed that it would be a good thing to sleep with (yep melt my momma heart!) Then Joshua coached daddy through prayers and our bedtime song and went to bed.

He sang and talked in his crib a while, but then went to sleep without a tear!!!!!!!

I totally enjoyed having a long chat with a girlfriend without being interrupted by any of our children. I love, love our playdates - but grown-up time is such a blessing! It was the first time I had been out without a "Joshua bedtime curfew" since he came home.

He did wake up at 2:13 AM to make sure mommy came home. (That is not typical anymore.) He had to tell me a few stories about the exciting time he had with daddy before he was ready to snuggle in and go back to sleep. He was and is so very proud of himself!

Today he has been almost totally normal. He has been extra snugly - bummer! I have heard him fake cry and yell, "Momma's baby crying hold you!" several times. It has been a while since he has played that game, but it is just his way of asking me to give a little extra attention to him. I am very thankful that he is reaching out to me rather than rejecting me!

(I am ready to share bedtime duty with daddy, but I do confess that if Joshua would totally reject me at bedtime - I would not handle it as gracefully as daddy did!)

I am so proud of you Joshua Gebeyehu!