"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Joshua Gebeyehu's Baptism

We celebrated Joshua Gebeyehu Chad's baptism this past Sunday, February 6.

We decorated our home for the post-baptism bash with all the posters that Joshua's siblings and cousins had hung throughout our home when we arrived home from Ethiopia - exactly 8 mo. to the day earlier. Joshua did not understand them at the time, but Sunday he was thrilled! He kept going from one to another and exclaiming, "OH! SO NICE!"

He is pictured in front of the biggest Welcome Home Gebeyehu banner. He was so proud and excited to wear his "Ethiopia clothes."
Check out that proud stance... and the sandals! It is really hard to find sandals this far north in February. Joshua and I were thrilled when we located these. As he told me, "Ethiopia clothes no so good faster faster shoes (tennis shoes). Joshua need sandals. Mommy carry you Joshua sandals. Too cold walk sandals. Joshua freezing!" (I was thrilled to carry Joshua through the snow!)
Joshua requested a picture with mommy. Notice his beautiful blanket? It was a gift from someone very special. Thank you! I was happy to have your blessing in this special way on Joshua's baptism day! Joshua made sure it was on my shoulder all morning.

Now, before I get to pictures of the actual baptism, I have to share how excited we were to have Joshua baptized. He had watched many baptisms and told me under no uncertain terms, "Pastor Maury NO water Joshua's head!" He was terrified of the idea. While it was the desire of our hearts to have him baptized as we had his older siblings, we had decided that we would not force the issue. So we waited for his consent. He finally decided that, "It OK Pastor Maury water Joshua head." We were thrilled to oblige!
Chad and I both spoke just a little a bit. While we spoke, Joshua smiled and waved to his Sharlene. He was incredibly cute.

Daddy shared (in my paraphrase) that starting the adoption process he wanted to help a little child, but in the end we were blessed beyond anything he could have imagined. He shared how much it means to him to have Joshua be so excited to visit him at work. How much fun it is to have Joshua push snow with him. How beautiful it is to have Joshua reach up and kiss his cheek and say, "I lub you Daddy." Chad expressed what a sweet son Joshua is and how excited he is to see the plans God has for Joshua's life.

I have shared our adoption story to our church family on a couple of occasions, but I did take the opportunity to thank our amazing friends and family for their prayers and support. It took God, two governments, and the prayers of many people to bring our sweet son home. I am so grateful. Because of the journey we have all traveled to get to this baptism day it was extra- special and totally beautiful to publicly dedicate Joshua to Jesus.
We asked all of our kids to be on stage with us and join in Joshua's baptism ceremony. We also asked Luke and Ashlee to be his Godparents. I love the concept of Godparents. We have chosen the Godparents for each of our kids with great prayer and care. We want them to have another set of parents mentoring them and praying for them as they grow. The relationships that have formed between our kids and their Godparents are really beautiful. They each love having special adults that are theirs. I so appreciate being able to call on these special people to love on their godchild when I can see a little boost is needed. Godparents, you are a blessing!
"Joshua Gebeyehu (our pastor is Texan, he did a great gubbya like George W.) Chad D. I baptize you in the name of the Father and the Son
(and then Joshua cried a little so mommy ended up cheek to cheek) and the Holy Spirit.
Joshua receiving Pastor Maury's blessing.
Our family receiving Luke's blessing.
I am so thankful for the friendships with which God has blessed me.
Joshua's baptism blanket
Beautiful, isn't it?


Joshua was really snugly and a bit pouty after he had been baptized. I was not sure what was going on... until we snuck out of church to use the restroom. When I set him down in the bathroom he told me angrily, "Pastor Maury water Joshua Ethiopia clothes!" (Pastor Maury uses A LOT of water when he baptized children - no light sprinkle for him. Some water had ran down Joshua's neck and onto his beloved Ethiopia clothes. Add to that the fact that Joshua HATES wet or dirty clothes and I had a mad toddler!) He went on to exclaim, "Pastor Maury water Joshua's HEAD! NO Joshua's clothes! Wet clothes YUCKY!" Luckily Ethiopia clothes dry quickly, because Joshua had forgotten all about the offense by the end of the service. He even gave Pastor Maury a good-bye kiss later.


We have always had our closest friends and family over for dinner after baptism. For our babies I planned a "proper Sunday dinner." For Joshua... it was PIZZA! I wanted us to eat something Joshua would enjoy and his very favorite food is pizza! So we celebrated Joshua's baptism with a pizza party! I would highly recommend it!
Abby is a girl after my heart. She did not play, she was too busy eating every last bight of her pizza and cookie!
Our basement was filled with kids in motion!
"the men's table"
It was a wonderful, relaxing party filled with noise, smiles, laughter, and friendship. Thank you for sharing Joshua's baptism day with us.

We are so blessed!