"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Going to Bed Hungry

Our pastor called for a 30 hour fast this weekend.  30 hours of fasting from something in preparation for a fund-raising dinner our church will host tomorrow, October 30.  30 hours of doing without something, in remembrance of the millions that go without true necessities day in and day out.

Each member of our household (minus Joshua) chose something different to fast from.  Brenna chose snack food, Sierra the telephone, Jamison gave his video games a rest, Krissy drank no caffeine, Chad stayed away from TV and the internet.  I  chose to fast from food.

It has been an interesting day.  I have never been hungry before.  I have never gone without food except when I had the flu.  Feeling hungry is totally foreign.  In all reality, I am not experiencing true hunger.  I have had water, juice, and coffee today.  I am fully hydrated.  I have had some calories and the caffeine my body craves.  I have had much, much more than a truly hungry person.

Yet, I have had the tiniest feel for what it is like to NOT eat when others are.

I will go to bed hungry.  Wake up hungry.  Go to church hungry.  Sing songs of worship hungry.  Take communion hungry.

I do not even begin to understand what a life of hunger feels like.  I can not fathom denying my children food.  The thought alone brings tears to my eyes.

So tonight as I prepare for bed hungry, knowing I will wake hungry and NOT be able to eat (by my choice), my heart identifies with millions across the globe just the slightest bit more.  I can not imagine this being my life.  I know tomorrow at noon I will eat.  I know I will eat again at supper and then breakfast and then . . . I have NO fear of ACTUAL hunger.  Yet, choosing hunger, going without a basic need, makes the plight of many just the tiniest bit more real.  (and my check tomorrow the tiniest bit bigger)

Father god, thank you that I an choosing hunger, but not truly hungry.  Thank you for the abundance you have provide me.  I am truly undeserving.  I do not know why I have much while other have nothing.  Help me to use my much for Your glory.  Be with the many who sleep hungry tonight.  Feed them stomach and soul.  Please God, please.