"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Good, The Bad, and The Super-Cute

It has been a long time since I have done a "Joshua update" post - mostly because he was just doing so well, he was so steady.   In the last weeks, I have noticed changes... some good, some bad, some just super-cute!

We will start with THE GOOD!

Last week I let Joshua go outside and play in our backyard with a neighborhood friend, unsupervised. (OK so I was watching from the kitchen window - but I was not outside with them!)  When he first came home, I seriously had to insist he stayed in the bathroom with me when I showered because he had no understanding of boundaries.  One morning  (before I instituted the shower policy) he wandered outside and down the street while I showered.  It was more than a little scary to realize he had NO concept of home/safety/strangers.

Last week, when Joshua was allowed to play with his friend, he obeyed his boundaries perfectly... even when the friend did not!  I am so, so proud of him!
Joshua has become excited about "projects!"  He loves to paint, will color, is interested in cutting, and is a playdough pro!  He loves to read books and is beginning to identify more and more letters.  Small motor skills are starting to be something FUN to work on.
Large motor skills are great!  He has become strong and agile.  He can climb, balance, and jump.  While he is not the most athletic kid in the gym, his skills no longer are noticeably delayed in any way.

He is also no longer scared of animals... in fact he has become an animal lover!  We went to the zoo today (we had not been there since last year) and he had SO much fun!  Where a year ago, he really did not want to leave his stroller, today he was thrilled to see all the animals and even MORE thrilled when he could touch them!

Moving on to THE BAD!

It makes me feel bad to even use that word... really I just picked it because I liked how the title sounded!  But in all reality not all of life is "the good" and "the super-cute" some is more on "the bad" side.

This weekend Joshua just felt off.  Like he was regressing.  I will be honest and admit that I had to talk myself down a few times.  I want to jump to the "mom is back to work and it is wrecking the child" scenario.  That may be what is going on, it may also be that he is three and testing us.  No matter the root (which will be identified in time) it was not as fun a weekend as usual as it contained more than its fair share of tantrums, tests, and time-outs.

While Joshua has a HUGE vocabulary and is very detailed and fluent, he has begun stuttering.  It is very mild when calm and rested - but can be quite pronounced when tired or stressed. 

He is still not eating at day care (except for the turkey sandwich I pack).  He also does not want Denise to buckle his pants after he goes potty.  In short, he just does not want to get too comfortable there.  His guard is certainly up.  While I see a lot of improvement, like him wanting to give her a good-bye hug on Friday, drop off transition becoming shorter and happier, projects coming home, etc I still worry... a lot.  (Please pray that if he is not in the right spot, that God will clearly open another door. Or that I would become peaceful because right now leaving Joshua at day care is the hardest thing I have ever had to do as a parent.)

And now for ... THE SUPER-CUTE... photos from today:
Only Sierra went with us to the zoo, and boy we had fun!

A stolen kiss...

Silly snuggles with Krissy...
and the pictures to prove it!

And...a SUPER-CUTE story from the weekend:

Joshua brought home a pair of cowgirl boots from Grandpa Scott's house recently. And yes! I mean cowgirl boots!  They are red with hearts, very comfy and cute, but NOT for a boy!

Well, girly or not, Gubs loves them.  He is always and forever asking to wear them places - but the rule is only at home.  (After all he does have teen-age siblings and they do have some pride :)!)

Knowing the answer will be, "No!" does not stop him from asking if he can wear them to the store though!

So this week when he asked me "Mommy can I wear my girl boots to the store?" 

I asked him, "What would Jay say?"

He responded with a belly laugh.  Then he put his hands on hips and said with much sass, " Moooommm! Really?!?!"

Which is precisely what his big brother would say!  Ohhh, he makes me laugh!