"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Friday, October 14, 2011

"Mom, we have Nothing to eat!"

Last night several of my kids were "starving!"  They were watching TV after supper and "NEEDED" a snack. "Desperately!"

I heard them foraging around in the fridge.  Then I heard them digging around in the pantry.  Soon I heard the fridge open again.  I walked into the kitchen to see if they needed any help, and I was greeted with, "MOM! You HAVE to buy groceries!  There is NOTHING to eat!"

So I peaked into the pantry, and this is what I saw:


trail mix, applesauce, granola bars, animal crackers...

Then I opened the fridge and discovered:


apples, yogurt, sandwich meat, cheese...

I mentioned these choices to the kids.  They responded, "Well, yeah... we did see all that but I'm just not hungry for any of that..."

I responded, "Could you even imagine being hungry enough to eat WHATEVER is in the fridge?"

They gave me an honest answer.  They said, "No.  And I do not want to find out."  (Might sound sassy, but in the moment it was just honest not disrespectful.)

That conversation made me thing of this video:



I'm thankful that my kids are aware of how lucky they are.  I am thankful that they are willing to serve.  But still we struggle with themes of entitlement... all of us, not just my kids... me too.

Gratitude is not natural but when practiced it changes everything!  We are all a work in progress!