"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Hungry


(If you are anything like me you just noticed that the video is 12 minutes and thus decided to skip it, after all who has 12 minutes to watch a video?  I decided to take 12 minutes to watch this today.  12 minutes is a sacrifice to me.  I have not regretted it.  I don't think you will either.)

Ever been hungry?  Truly hungry?

Me either.

Ever been unable to feed your child?

Me either.

Sadly, many, many mothers look into the eyes of their children every day and are unable to offer them the comfort of food.  In fact 24,000+ children died today because of preventable stuff like malnutrition.

24,000+... died...today

Yes, seriously more than 24,000 children died today.

I try not to think about it, because when I think about it I feel totally helpless, totally insignificant.

But ignoring the fact that 1 in 5 children die before they turn 5 due to "simple stuff" like lack of nutrition only turns my feelings of helplessness into reality.  In truth, I can make a difference.  It only takes $30 or less to feed a child for a month in a developing country.  We live on a fairly tight budget, but I CAN carve $30 out of it... in honor of 1 child or 1 momma or 1 daddy.  My small will feel HUGE to them.  My small can be significant.  It will not change the world, but it will change the life of 1.

And each ONE matters.

On October 30 we are having a community dinner at my church.  All proceeds will go to feed hungry... TRULY HUNGRY, mothers, fathers, children, and grandparents in the Horn of Africa.  If you would like to combine your small with my small, please join us, and together we can make a difference for a few.

If you can not be at this dinner, I highly encourage you to send a donation of some sort to the organization of your choice.  Do not buy into the lie that small is insignificant!  If I could not feed my child, even 1 meal ($1) would feel SO SIGNIFICANT.

Some aid organizations that provide emergency food that I would recommend are:
World Vision
Food for the Hungry
(there are MANY others as well)

We can make a difference!