"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Less Hustle and Bustle

One of my goals for this Christmas Season is to be home more enjoying each other, and less time participating in the "hustle and bustle" of the season.  That is a HARD goal!  There are so many cool things going on around town this time of year - parties, sales, concerts, etc. . . There is also the additional tasks that come with the season - gifts to buy - and then wrap, decorating to do, special treats to prepare. . .

I have been thinking a lot about how to enjoy the season more, and for me that is to be home more chillin' with Chad and our  kids.  So I have declared this Christmas an "Old Fashioned Christmas" at the Dietrich house.  I am trying to make things simpler and more relational.

We spent the day baking, crafting, and watching cheesy Christmas movies on Lifetime.  It was the BEST, most relaxing day, I have had in a loooong time! 

I had wonderful baking assistants!
 We made 5 different types of cookies and they ALL needed to be rolled into balls before they were baked!

I was so thankful for the girls' help!
 We put Joshua in charge of sprinkles!
 Sierra likes to cook and bake.

She is excellent help!
 Krissy's favorite are the pretzels with a kiss and an M&M melted in the middle.

After we had our baking done, we took a trip to Hobby Lobby to stock up on a few craft supplies.  My girls LOVE to make things, and they are quite talented!  So, we put together some cute Christmas gifts this evening.  I can't tell you what they are, but they were made in part from these:
And the results are really pretty!

It has been years since I have spent a day making Christmas gifts.  I have missed it!  Sometimes in my busy life I think it is easier to just buy something.  ON one hand that is true.  But, spending the day watching movies, talking, listening to Christmas music, and laughing while crafting was SO much more FUN than standing in line at the mall!  Plus, my kids are truly excited about the items they made! 

Last Sunday, my Pastor shared that 99% of what we buy today will be in a landfill within 6 mo.  That really got me thinking!  If almost everything I buy as gifts will be tossed, how can I make the gift into something special and memorable for my kids?  It is certainly NOT by shopping with them - which usually results in one of us melting down!  I hope that today made memories for them.  Memories of laughter.  Memories of sugar, lots and lots of sugar. . . everywhere sugar, Memories that will stir up feeling of cozy.  Memories of feeling pride in creativity.

And if they do not remember today. . . I will.

Today was a treasure that will be hidden in my heart forever.