"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Friday, December 23, 2011

Our Family Christmas 2011

Tonight we celebrated Jesus' birthday with our kids.

We had planned on opening gifts tomorrow morning, but I was too excited to wait any longer.

We began our evening with our traditional appetizer meal.  Krissy commented that it is most likely the least healthy meal we have every year.  I served hot wings, cheese sticks, stuffed potato skins, and mozzarella cheese sticks.  Yummy - but NOT healthy!

When we were done eating, we drew names.

Each year we draw names, all of us.  Then Chad and I give each person a $20 bill to shop with.  Any change must be left in the package of the person whose name you drew.  We split into 3 shopping teams, and we all hit the mall.

Shopping is always fun.  I was on Joshua's team.  He was so proud to have "monies" in his pocket.  He shopped very seriously for Krissy - keeping each item hidden under his coat, just in case she walked by.  He was thrilled to be able to pay all by himself.  It was a blast!

We got home and quickly wrapped the gifts.

 Before we opened gifts, I insisted on a quick picture.
(I inherited this "gene" from my Grandma. Taking family pictures for what seemed like hours was always part of Christmas at her house!)
 I am so thankful that I have this shoulder to lean on.

And then the wrapping paper started flying.
We open one gift at a time - youngest to oldest.
(so pictures are in random order)
 Brenna bought this for Jay.
He is still a Colts fan, despite a difficult season.
 Joshua chose a hat, nose rings, and some candy for Krissy.
He was so excited he was shaking as she opened her gift.
She was super sweet to him in return.
 Krissy had my name.
She chose such thoughtful gifts.
 Krissy surprised each of us with a gift.
She made many of them.
Including the sweatshirt Sierra is proudly modeling.
She has become an amazing seamstress.
 I love this sister shot!
Sierra was so very thrilled with her gift.
She said her heart was just pounding with love.
 Chad and I bought our TV addict a portable DVD player.
She wore hers out.
 I was most excited about Chad's gift.
For the past 5-7 years he has said that he would really like to learn to play the guitar.
So, at long last. . .
 we bought him a guitar!
He was excited!
 He did get to try it for a few minutes,
 before our other guitar lover took over!
(Chad may need to practice after Gubbers goes to bed!)
This final photo is of the gift Krissy made for me.
Krissy sewed, Sierra stuffed, and the rest of the kids kept it a secret!
Isn't it so cute?!?
It was a really good night.  A night rich with love and laughter.  A night when my heart was full to overflowing.  Chad kept asking me if I was alright, because I could not help but be teary off and on.  This year the tears were of joy and gratitude and hope.  I am so very grateful for the love and laughter filled home that we have.  I am thankful for thoughtful children, healthy children, loving children.  I am beyond grateful for the man I am blessed to share my everything with.  And I am so excited for the HOPE that promises to fill 2012.