"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Monday, December 19, 2011

Too Many Children?

Growing up, I had an Aunt and Uncle who were only 6 years older than I was.  I loved them, and I thought they were about the coolest duo ever!  They alternated between tolerating and loving me! (what else do you do with an niece who follows you everywhere) Robert and Robin were like the older siblings, I did not have at home.  They were WAY cool, and I was totally amazed by everything they did.

My Aunt Robin let me play in her playhouse when we were little.  Those are some of my best childhood memories!  When she was a teenager, she would let me sit in her room and watch her do her hair and makeup before she went out with her friends.  I know it sounds silly, but I loved those times!  

My Uncle Robert was fun!  He also loved to tease me! I remember so many funny stories about him.  There is always one I remember most.  

One time he took me for a ride on the 3-Wheeler (remember those?).  When we were a long way from the house, he turned around backward on the seat and was driving without watching the road.  Now, I have always been a safety girl, so I panicked!  I reached forward and turned off the machine.  

He then told me that because I turned it off, I would have to restart it.  It had a pull cord to start it.  Try as I might, I could NOT get it started!  

He then told me that I would need to push it back to the house - after all, it was my fault!  So, I pushed and pushed and pushed that BIG 3-wheeler.  He walked along and coached me along.  Finally when we had just gotten within sight of the house, he gave the cord a quick pull, started the machine and drove off laughing.

Yep, he loved to tease me!

Today is my Aunt Robin and Uncle Robert's birthday.  Unfortunately for us, Robert is celebrating in heaven.  He died 8 years ago of melanoma.

Even when he was near death, he had a teasing message for me.  At that time I was VERY pregnant with my fourth baby.  His final message to me was, " Don't have too many more children!"

So, when I saw this sign on a bank tellers counter today, it really made me laugh!

I am sure my Uncle Robert would shake his head were he to see me driving my mega momma mobile filled with kids!  I am sure he would tease me.

I am also sure, he would adore each of my babies!  And I know my babies would adore him.

Sorry, Uncle Robert!  I never did listen to you very well!  I am not sure I will ever have too many children!  But I sure wish you were here to tease me about them!

Happy Birthday to you too Auntie Robin!  I may not have mailed a card, but I did think of you, too!  I love you!  I am so thankful to have you as a big sister/auntie combo.