"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Uh Oh, Jamison's In Trouble!

Jamison is a very easy kid.  He is kind, responsible, funny, and responsible.

However, last week his halo was tarnished. . . just a bit.

On Thursday morning, Joshua and I left to get groceries at 6:45 am.  The girls were up and preparing for school.  Jamison was still in bed, but that is not unusual.  He values sleep - a lot.  He also leaves for school about 20 minutes later than his sisters, so he is able to sleep much later than they are.  It is not uncommon for him to find the house empty when he comes upstairs for breakfast.

Joshua and I returned home at about 8 am.  The house was quiet, and we got to work unloading groceries.  After the groceries were put away, I got busy making a pot of soup.  I chopped veggies while Joshua played.  We chatted and sang and giggled.

At 10 am, Joshua and I left for the day.  We were joining Chad for a quick road trip to Fargo.

At 2:30 pm, I received a text from Jamison.  It said, " um Mom. I just woke up"

I responded, "Seriously?!"  I was fairly certain he was teasing me.  He is quite the tease!  Besides, how could he have slept through all the noise Joshua and I made?  And even for a growing teen-ager waking at 2:30 is beyond "sleeping in."

He responded, "Seriously."

I texted back, "Dad and I are in Fargo.  We will have to talk about this when we get home."

Then, being the stellar mother that I am, I laughed.  How in the world could he have slept until 2:30?  I saw with my own eyes that he had gone to bed at 10:15 the night before!  2:30?!?

Just then the school called.  They asked me where Jamison had been all day?  Under normal circumstances, I would be annoyed that it took until 2:30 for the school to call and ask after my son.  That day I was SO thankful!  If they had reported Jay missing when I was 3.5 hours from home, I would have freaked out!

I explained what had happened and the attendance officer asked, "So, I mark him sick?"

Big momma dilemma there!  Do I agree?  He must be sick to have "overslept" that long, right? 

Wrong.  He was not ill, he was just an overtired, growing teen-age boy.

I said, "No. As much as I want to get him off the hook, the truth is - he just overslept."

We both had to laugh at that.  She told me it was the first time she had ever heard of a kid oversleeping that loooong.  She warned me even though it was just an accident, it would need to be turned over to the vice-principal as an unexcused absence.

So as a result, my perfectly imperfect Jamison Chad has detention tomorrow and Thursday.  He will have to stay after school until 5 pm to make up time from his big nap.

Don't you love it when someone else disciplines your kids? 

I share this with Jamison's permission because we all think it is really, really funny!  (Not the punishment.  We all agree that it is a fair sentence.)  I do not know if Jay will ever live down the day he overslept until 2:30 in the afternoon!

Sure I wish I could try beat his record though!  Staying in bed until 2:30 pm sounds absolutely heavenly to me!