"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

To Grandmother's House We Went

Yesterday my sister-in-law, Emily, and I loaded all 7 of our kids into my mega momma mobile to road trip to my Grandmother's house for her birthday.  There is just no place else in the world like your Grandma's house - especially at Christmas!  Being in my Grandma's house when it is decorated for Christmas just brings back so many memories!

As a child we always spent Christmas Eve at my Grandparent's house.  We went to church, took hours and hours of family pictures (or so it seemed), ate all sorts of yummy treats, opened gifts, laughed, tried to sleep so Santa would come, and eventually woke up and waited and waited and waited for Grandpa to come in from feeding the cows so we could open stockings Christmas morning.  The ONLY downside about marrying Chad was that our marriage ended Christmas at my Grandparent's house.  (I gained Christmas with my in-laws whom I love though!)

The last few years I have tried to get to my Grandma's house to see her on her birthday.  It is not quite the same as Christmas, but it has become a wonderful NEW tradition.

Most of the pictures below will not mean much to you, or to my kids - but for me they are dripping with memories.
 Here the teenagers are gathered around Grandma and Grandpa's kitchen table.  Their kitchen table is THE place where memories are made. That table is the center of all the action.  The majority of my memories from their home take place with that table in the center.
 The second most memory filled room is the "office."  Walking into my Grandpa's office and seeing my kids laughing just made my heart smile.

Emily, the kids, and I arrived at the farm about noon.  We had packed a simple lunch so Grandma would not have to cook on her birthday.  We chatted, drank coffee, and sampled Grandma's baking all afternoon.  Then we traveled to Pizza Corner to meet the rest of the clan for birthday supper.
 The pizza place had games.  Lucky for us, Joshua does not yet know the driving game is more fun if you feed it quarters.
 Silly Sierra bought this ridiculous super cool hat with Christmas money.  She loves it.
 Joshua, Caitlin, and Brenna strike a pose.
 The super-cool teen table - Jamison, Landon, Courtenay, and Krissy
 This is my grandparent's surrounded by all of their Great Grandchildren
(left to right) Jamison, Sierra, Joshua, Alexa, Brenna, Adrianna, and Krissy
 Here they are surrounded by all their Grandchildren and Great Grandchildren that were present.  There are 3 missing.
(back, left to right)Caitlin, myself, Jamison, Sierra, Joshua, Alexa, Brenna, Adrianna, my brother Chad, and Krissy
(front, left to right) Landon, Grandpa, Grandma, and Courtenay
 This is one of my favorite photos from the night.  It had been 18 years since I have seen my mom and her siblings pose for a photo together - but it was a yearly occurrence growing up.  Grandma insisted on many family groupings each Christmas Eve before any gifts were opened.  Each and every year, the siblings were called together for a photo.  Every year they goofed and giggled, pinched and wiggled.  It was so fun for me to see that some things never change!
 This is Joshua posing with his (and my) Auntie Robin. 

Unfortunately all good things come to an end!

We loaded back up in my mega momma mobile - but this time my parent's jumped in.
Guess what?

Even with my mom and dad riding along, we had 2 extra seatbelts!

I am learning to love my mega momma mobile!

Happy Birthday Grandma!  We loved spending the day with you!  It was so good to be at my Grandma's house for Christmas(ish).  I love you!