"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Saturday, April 7, 2012

A Dream Begins to Unfold

Last week a team of four people from our church traveled to Ethiopia with Children's HopeChest.  This was extremely significant to me because I have spent a lot of time in the past 2.5 years researching, checking references, and praying in preparation for this very trip. 

From the time that God opened my eyes to the fact that as Christ followers, we are all commanded to take care of widows, orphans, and oppressed people, I have been praying about my church becoming intimately involved with a community in Ethiopia.  I spent about a year learning about different organizations and the types of partnerships that they made possible.  It soon became apparent to me that a partnership with HopeChest was the best fit.

I then spent months interviewing HopeChest staff and references.  The more I learned the more excited I became.  I was just putting together a proposal for my church when I learned our Senior Pastor was resigning.  At that point I was really frustrated.  I really felt that we needed pulpit support to make the partnership successful, so I waited.

And waited.

And waited.

In the mean time, we hired a new Senior Pastor.
And he hired me to be his office administrator.

I continued to wait, as both he and I were trying to figure out our new jobs.
For those of you that know me, you know that I do not wait well!
Once I have a plan, waiting to carry it out is very DIFFICULT.
But God kept reassuring me that he would open doors in His time.

Then one day as we were working together, Pastor Jared said, "I would really like to figure out some type of world mission project."

And I said, "Pull up a chair.  I have been waiting for someone to say that for a looong time."

To make a long story short, Pastor Jared and a team of three others traveled to Ethiopia with HopeChest last week to learn more about the country and HopeChest's program.  Some went hesitantly. 

All returned changed.

Ethiopia JUST DOES THAT.

They also returned with gifts for me.
(Indulge me while I show off my Ethiopian treasures below.)



The shell detain makes the best noise when he dances!









Thanks, Troy, Claudette, Jared, and Lyra, for traveling to Ethiopia to check out my dream.
Thanks too for bringing treasures home for me!

Please join us in praying as God's plan for our church in Ethiopia continues to unfold.

Ladies!  If you would like to hear more about Claudette's and Lyra's trip to Ethiopia, you could join me for brunch this coming Saturday!  They will be sharing all about their trip - including Lyra's beautiful photography - at 10am Saturday, April 14 at BCC.  Even if (especially if) you do not attend our church, we would love to have you attend.