"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Monday, April 9, 2012

An Easter Filled with Broken Rules

We broke many "rules" this Easter.

  • I did not buy my children cute Easter outfits.  (They HATE them.)
  • I did not plan an egg hunt OR fill Easter baskets with gifts.
  • I did not cook anything special.
  • I did not take a single photo.
And, you know what?

All that rule breaking was wonderful!  It gave me the freedom to enjoy worship.  Instead of being totally hung up on having a picture perfect day, I was free to sink in, relax, and enjoy worship.

The BEST moment of my day occurred during worship team practice early Easter morning.  It rarely works in my schedule for me to sing with the worship team, but I love it when it does.  So standing on stage, singing with the talented group surrounding me was a gift in and of itself.

As we vocally ended one of the songs, the instruments continued to play.  They had a beautiful, spontaneous time of improvisation.  They "jammed out" with pure, enthusiastic, unregulated joy.

As they came to a close, the young man playing the sax breathed, "That right there was holy prayer."

It was.  It was the most pure and beautiful prayer of worship I experienced all day.

Sometimes, there is  much beauty and joy in broken rules.  Improvising and growing near to the heart of God often go hand in hand.

(For the record, my kids also enjoyed the broken rules.  They do not enjoy pictures or fancy clothes.  They did enjoy the food their Grandmothers prepare.  They also enjoyed the egg hunts set up by Grandmas as well.)