"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Monday, October 4, 2010

The Enforcer!

Joshua has spent the last 4 months learning all the rules of this roost. He now has them down and makes very sure that everyone else (even strangers at Walmart) follows them perfectly.


He has also figured out that what momma says is "the final answer." So when one of his siblings tells him not do something, he yells "Momma! Mommy! Mommy! Show you something!" (repeated louder and louder until momma arrives on the scene of the crime)

This is what happened earlier tonight.

Joshua asked me if he could play piano. I told him that he could.


So he happily banged away. He played a "mommy song" and a "Joshua song." They were lovely. Then momma went upstairs to finish cleaning up supper.

As soon as I left, the older kids told him to stop playing because they could not hear the TV. He immediately yelled, "Mommy! Mommy! Come on! Show you something!"

So I go downstairs and find him with a quivering lip. He asks, "Joshua push the buttons?" (Can I play the piano?)

I say, "Sure!"

Then there is big uproar from my couch potatoes. Now I know that someone playing the piano toddler-style is hardly the optimal TV viewing environment, but my older kids watch way too much TV. Besides that Joshua was playing piano before they started watching television AND he has about a 2 minute attention span for the piano. So, I stick to my decision and Joshua resumes playing piano.

This is my little guy shooting a smug grin to his siblings while playing as loudly as possible.

Joshua's need to enforce rules is almost embarrassing at times. Yesterday at the store he pointed to a little girl who was sitting on the side of the cart - something his mommy says no to - and expected me to tell her to sit down. (Joshua either has to sit in the seat or flat on the bottom of the big part of the cart.) I explained that the little girl's mommy will tell her what to do. He responded, " No, no! Naughty! Sit down in cart." in a none too quiet voice.

On the very positive side, he has totally figured out that his momma (and daddy) make the rules and hand out the privileges. So he no longer goes to Krissy when mommy says no! He has also figured out that many times momma (and daddy) say yes!