"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Monday, May 9, 2011

Grandma's Chocolate Float Cake

It is/was my Grandma's birthday today. She has been with Jesus for a few years now, but I still miss her. She was and is "who I want to be when I grow up."
Here we are with 3 month old Brenna.

My Grandma loved babies. She loved gardening. She loved serving. She loved to sing and was always humming a tune. She was always busy, but always had time. She was the toughest, yet kindest woman I have ever known. She lived Jesus so very beautifully.

I have remembered lately how she served orphans and widows/single mothers when she and my Grandpa wintered in Texas. Never one to just relax, my grandma quickly found a place to serve right across the Mexican border during their trips down south. They loaded their camper each winter with clothes and blankets for the women and children at the mission they volunteered in. They also helped with building and grounds projects and, of course, my Grandma rocked and sang to the babies.

I told you I want to be just like her!

How I wish I could have shared the last years with her. How I wish she could have met our Joshua. She would have loved him so much.
Flowers were one of my grandma's passion. They were the one frivolous thing she would treat herself to. I have irises in my garden that came from her garden. They bloom almost every year on her birthday. (In fact, this is the first year since her death that they have not been in full flower on her birthday!) They are such a special memory of the beautiful, strong, resilient woman my Grandma was.

You can not be a grandma without a stash of fabulous family recipes. Here is my favorite dessert my grandma made.

Chocolate Float Cake
2 cups flour
12 T baking cocoa, divided
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 tsp baking powder
4 T vegetable oil
3/4 cup milk
2 cups packed brown sugar
3 1/2 cups HOT water

Combine flour, sugar, 4 T cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Stir in oil, vanilla, and milk. Spread into ungreased 9X13 inch pan. (This batter is very thick and dry.) Combine brown sugar and remaining cocoa, sprinkle over batter. Pour HOT water over all, do not stir! Bake 350* for 35-40 minutes. Bottom of cake will be "gooey." Flip slices when you serve it so the fudge is on top. It is best served warm, topped with ice cream or cool whip. Enjoy!