"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day 2011

What a difference a year makes! Last year on mother's day my heart was so very heavy. I was so ready to have Joshua HOME! I was so worried about my baby half a world away, who was wishing for his mommy to come! And my heart was totally shredded in grief thinking of all his Ethiopian mother would never know.

Today was a much better day!
As I sat in the front row of church today (Joshua's pick) with my five wiggly, giggly, chatting, rowdy kids my heart was full of joy and gratitude. I am sure the rest of the church wished I had been a little more strict, but today I loved the crazy all around me. I appreciated the feeling of being surrounded by my wonderfully imperfect kids. I have experienced mother's day missing one, with my heart longing and my lap empty. Today I enjoyed the chaos, knowing what a gift it is.
Another first this mother's day was my kids shopping for me with their own money, in secret! Krissy, Jamison, and Sierra pooled their allowance to buy me this necklace. It was my first store-bought, self-financed gift EVER from my kids. I was touched and surprised by their thoughtfulness.

I also received (and should have photographed) a fabulous poem from Brenna. She has been writing me the sweetest notes all week. I adore her artistic talents and loving heart.

Daddy allowed Joshua to choose flowers for me. He was so very proud to have a secret for mommy! Our church always has a small gift for mothers. Joshua so very bravely went forward to make sure HE got to give his mommy a gift. Such a sweet bunch of children I have been blessed with.

The rest of the day was filled with picnics, long naps, a little gardening, and NO cooking or cleaning. It was the most relaxing day I have had in a long time.

My heart is full. Being a wife and mommy is what I have wanted to do more than anything else for as long as I can remember. I am so thankful that God has granted my heart's desire.

Thank you God for allowing me to be Mrs. Chad D. Thank you for choosing me to be the mother of Krissy, Jamison, Sierra, Brenna, and Joshua. My greatest desire is to honor You in all I do.

***In regards to Joshua's Ethiopian momma, God has given me great peace. We speak of her all the time. We honor her role in Joshua's life. This morning I told Joshua that I wished that his Ethiopian mommy could see how handsome, strong, loved, and happy he is. And I do. I wish a lot of things in regards to Joshua Gebeyehu's Ethiopian momma, but reality is what it is. So until my son and his Ethiopian mommy meet again in heaven, I rest in the knowledge that God always knew that Joshua Gebeyehu would be loved by us both. He chose us both. I will do everything in my power to honor her while raising our son to be the man that God has designed him to be.