"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Sandbaggers

I can not begin to tell you how incredibly proud I am of my oldest three kids this week. They have utterly amazed me. Since it became clear that flooding in out community would be devastating, they have worked so very hard to help in any way that they are able. They have been sandbagging every chance they get since Tuesday evening. Krissy chose to skip her last day of school to help. She left with Chad at 7 AM Friday morning and worked by his side until 11 PM. Jamison and Sierra needed to attend school, but they joined in the efforts right after school.

I was able to help for a short while Friday evening and their work brought tears to my eyes. They knew just what to do. They worked hard, yet cheerfully! They were confident and competent. They were compassionate. At one point we noticed an older man who was struggling to fill sandbags by himself. Sierra ran over and held his bags for him. When his truck was filled she wished him luck and told him that her family would be praying for him.

Saturday morning the girls woke up stiff and exhausted. They told me they were not sure they could keep working so hard. I reassured them that it was ok! After a big breakfast, I noticed them putting their shoes on. I asked what they were up to and they quickly explained that they were going to walk back to the sandbagging site. "They were a little tired," they said. "but people need help!"

I convinced them to take a break and watch the younger kids so I could help for a few hours later in the morning. They decided sandbagging was much more exciting than babysitting, so we brought the whole family with to unload one load.

Joshua (and his friend Kennedy who was with us so her parents could work to save her grandparent's home) were very happy to get out of the house and discover what sandbagging was all about! Joshua told me, "Sandiebagging really hard! Heavy! Joshua work really, really hard!"

I brought the littlest ones home after unloading that one load, but Krissy, Jamison, and Sierra continued to stick it out. We met for supper at 5:30. At that point Chad was totally spent! He figured that they had hauled (which means filled, loaded, and unloaded) 70,000 lbs of sandbags in 26 hours.

On the way home the kids found out Grandma and Grandpa were filling sandbags at the site close by our home. They begged to be dropped off yet again!

These two pictures were sent to me by a friend who watched my family at work.

This morning we will go to church. After church we will fill, load, and haul sandbags. Grandma has agreed to stay with Joshua and Brenna for a few hours so I can help as well. (It is the first time I have left Joshua with anyone other than Chad or Krissy!)

This is not exactly how we had planned on spending the weekend! The original plan was to spend the weekend relaxing at a lake - but how do you even consider that when so many are fighting to save their homes? I am so incredibly proud of how my kids have handled the change of plans.

Please continue to pray for our community.