"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

But I thought the Bible says We Can Do All Things...

Someone asked me a really good question today in regards to the thoughts I posted last night.  They asked, "I thought that the Bible says 'I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.'  Don't you think you are selling God short when you say that you can not do all things?"

Love that question!  I am not scholar in theology, but here are my thoughts in regards to that question.

In the Bible it does say "I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." (Philippians 4:13) 

That is actually one of our favorite verses at the Dietrich house.  It is the very verse that Jamison has claimed.  I absolutely believe it.

However, I do not believe that Paul (the writer of Philippians) included my "shoulds" in the "everything" he was referring to.

The verses which precede Philippians 4:13 read like this:
"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things.  Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me-put it to practice. And the God of peace will be with you.
I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have renewed your concern for me.  Indeed, you have been concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it.  I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.  I know what it is to have plenty.  I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  I can do all things through Him who gives me strength." (Philippians 4:8-13)

In my opinion the "everything" that Paul refers to is the "everything" that God calls us to do.  Paul instructs us to concentrate on the "everything" that is excellent and praiseworthy - in God's eyes!  He tells us to put into practice all we have learned, and that the peace of God will be with us.  He shares that he has learned to be content no matter his circumstances (and he lived in some dire circumstances as he traveled wherever and whenever the Lord instructed).  Through Paul's life experience in following God's plan, he learned that he could do all things (God asked him to do) because Christ gave him the strength.

So, I am not called or expected to do "all things" from my (or the world's perspective.)  Most of the things I get hung up on, most of the things on my "should" list are NOT of God AT ALL.  They are not remotely about pleasing God.  They are ALL about me striving to be worthy, instead of resting in His love.




My friend Nancy suggested I listen to this song today, and it really clarified some things in my mind.  Whether or not I realize it, when I let "should" take over my thoughts, I am spending all my energy trying to earn God's love.  That is not what He asks of me OR wants from me.

I am so thankful that I simply belong to Him.