"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Saturday, May 12, 2012

More of a Circus Than a Parade

Last night was the "Band Day Parade."

Geek or No-Geek, I was looking forward to it all week!

Sierra was going to march in it with the Elementary Band, and it was going to be Joshua's first parade to watch.  I was so excited to find a corner of the parade route to sit and enjoy the festivities.

Surprise! Surprise!
My evening did not go quite as I had hoped!
(Take this story with humor!  It is intended to be humorous, not a rant!)

I had a CRAZY day.  I worked a couple of hours longer than I had planned.  Then I had to pay a couple of bills, run to the bank, go to Sierra's school, rush home to pick up Chad and Krissy, and finally drive them to the airport.  All this happened with Joshua in row.  He was a TROOPER!  However, EVERYTHING takes MUCH longer with Joshua in tow.  He just does not transition quickly.

I finally arrived home, hoping - really, really hoping- to have a quick nap.

That idea quickly fell to pieces when Brenna began complaining of a tummy ache.
And then she and Joshua had a very noisy argument, which ended with 2 kids in tears.
(Yes, that happens at my home too.)

Before I knew it, it was time to leave for the parade.
I decided to treat my little crew to Taco Bell.
They messed up my drive through order.
Not a huge deal, but disappointing non-the-less.

I DID get Sierra and her BFF Tishina dropped off at the parade on time!
(score one for me)

I then stopped at a gas station so that Joshua and Brenna could use the bathroom.  I was feeling pretty smart at this point.  I had my bases covered, and we were going to have a fantastic time at the parade.

Brenna went to the bathroom first.
When she came out of the bathroom, she was in tears.  Her tummy hurt so bad.
She is not a drama queen about things like that, so I was sincerely concerned.
I drove her home wondering what to do.
Chad and Krissy were on their way to Las Vegas (another blog post) so there was no one else to go get the girls from the parade.  I debated whether Brenna was having an appendicitis or if I should leave her in Jamison's care and return to the parade.  After phoning a friend, I decided to leave her with Jay.

So Joshua and I preceded to the parade.

We got settled in just before it began.
 He had been SO excited about the parade all week, but this was him as the parade began.
New situations STRESS. HIM. OUT!

He was just beginning to relax a bit when he told me, "Mommy. I have to go potty!"
Now I tried to be sweet, really.  But I was annoyed.
"Really?" I asked him.  "We just went.  There is not potty here.  What if we miss Sierra."

"Mommy!  I HAVE TO GOOOOOO!

So off we went.
Back 3 blocks to the van.
By the time we got to the van he was in tears.
I offered for him to go behind the van.
(leave me alone, what would you have done?)
He refused!
(He IS his father's son.)
I took off as quickly as I could.

He spotted the gas station first and told me "Go there! Go there FAST!"

We made it.

And then we returned to the parade.

We got lucky!
Sierra and band marched by soon after we returned!
 Here they come!
 Sierra plays percussion.
She was a crash cymbalist during the parade. 
You can see her cymbals in the middle of the picture.

We were so happy to see her!
 Eventually, Joshua began to relax and truly enjoy the show.

And then,
He
had
to
go
potty
AGAIN!

Yes, I am serious.
And no!
It was NOT a 4 hour parade.

At that point we left and did not return.
This time he could not make it to the gas station.

We used a cup from Taco Bell.
Much less embarrassing than hiding behind the van, I guess.
(Sorry, too much information, I know.  My teens will remind me!)

After the potty problem was solved, we went to the mall to pick up Sierra and Tishina.
Joshua pretended to be a pretty girl waving from a convertible while we waited.
(He is going to HATE this post some day.)

Sometimes, events just do not go as planned!
I admit that I had several moments of "if this weekend continues to be this wonderful I may lose my mind."  Yet in the end, even this structured, always-has-a plan, momma-of 5 was laughing.

I thought I was going to watch a parade.
Instead I got to "perform" in the circus!

That IS motherhood.
Don't you think?
It IS the GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH!
Whether my day becomes a circus act or beautifully orchestrated ballet being the mom in the center of the show is the most wonderful earthly gift I have been given.

Happy Mother's Day!
Cherish each moment.
(Yep. All of them.)