"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Sunday, January 2, 2011

(more than) Ready to Return to Routine!

I hate to admit it, but we have had TOO MUCH Christmas! We have had too many late nights, too many "weird" meals at "weird" times, too much noise, too many visitors, and too many visits, too much excitement and NOT enough normal.

Last night I knew we had pushed Joshua and his sisters over the edge! Joshua cried for hours at bedtime - finally falling asleep at 10:15. Shortly after he finally slept, Brenna came to my room in tears. She was not feeling well, so I got her settled on a nest of blankets next to my bed. Then at 3AM, Sierra was standing over my sleepy self. She too was feeling yucky! So I peeled myself out of bed to get her ibuprofen and rub her aching head.

Morning came WAY too soon!

I had committed to doing the Children's Sermon at church and Chad was on as Deacon, so we left the girls at home with Krissy. Jamison and Joshua came along to church. It was not fun! Every time I reminded Joshua to speak softly or stay near me, he burst into noisy tears. This is not normal! He rarely cries because of a minor reprimand, pouts - maybe, but weeping it totally out of character. The second time he began to wail, Jamison looked at me and said, "Again?" (My thoughts exactly!)

We left church ASAP!

I was looking forward to a hot lasagna that Krissy was supposed to have in the oven, but when I walked into our house I quickly noticed that it was still on the counter instead of in the oven. (Poor Krissy felt terrible!) So we punted and quickly threw together some sloppy joes.

Little did I know that sloppy joes were just what Joshua needed. He ate 2 and a half big buns! Normal food must have tasted so good to him! Over Christmas we have eaten at different times than he is used to and have had many new meals. He has hung in there, but he was so totally happy to eat and eat and eat good old sloppy joes!

As I rocked him at naptime, he was totally asleep - like drooling all over my shirt - in 5 minutes flat. He is still sleeping almost 3 hours later!

His sisters slept late, have watched several movies, and are now feeling much better as well!

This afternoon, I have been thinking through the last 2 weeks. We had a fantastic Christmas! I think Chad and I did a super job of helping Joshua get through the very over-stimulating days. When Joshua did so very well! By planning ahead we all had fun!

We did not do as great a job of keeping him rested this (New Year's) weekend. While we did not do nearly do near as much - just a small party at a friend's home on New Year's Eve then early lunch the next day at Grandma's - his reaction spoke LOUD and CLEAR! It was more than he was ready for! He was the most out of sorts I have seen him in months. But as I examine it, his older siblings would have probably reacted in a similar fashion (and did in their own way as both Sierra and Brenna were sick overnight.) So the question for me as a mom is what activities are "worth" some difficult behavior afterwards? And, how could I have supported my kids better to minimize the backlash?

Looking back we should have either skipped the party OR lunch at my mom's. Joshua did not have enough of a break in between to handle both. Especially since Chad and I had both made commitments at church this morning. As it was, Joshua was forced to be in church when what he really needed was a quiet morning at home.

We had forgotten to leave room in our margins!

Did it kill him? No. We all survived. However, I much prefer to thrive!

So my New Year started with a lesson instead of an aspiration or a resolution. As we return to NORMAL and I have more time to process and reflect, this lesson may become part of my aspirations for 2011 though!

How about you? Have a lesson, aspiration, or resolution to share?

Happy New Year! Hoping 2011 is filled with grace, peace, hope, love, and joy!