"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Monday, January 3, 2011

Wrestling with Resolutions

I like to start the year with some type of a plan (shocking, I know!) I like to have some sort of personal goals, aspirations, or resolutions to challenge myself to work toward in the coming year. This year I have struggled to know what those aspirations should be.

Part of the dilemma is due to the fact that last year was so HUGE! I knew January 1, 2010 that it would be a year that would forever change me and my family. I did not know just how hard or how wonderful or how totally God-filled it would be though! God required so much trust and growth from me in 2010, that anything I try to "plan" to challenge myself with in 2011 seems silly.

So with that in mind - my first aspiration is to follow Him with total abandon. After living through last year that statement is not made lightly. I know how hard and scary following can be! I also know the amazing blessings that come with it! Obviously last year we were blessed with our sweet, silly Joshua Gebeyehu - but less obviously I was blessed with seeing and hearing God more than ever before. Choosing to be totally vulnerable, to totally rely on Him to take care of my son half a world away, watching Him knit our family together, seeing His hand in VERY difficult business situations, worshiping when I felt forgotten, feeling His peace, presence and blessing despite ANY other circumstance - those times were the most profound in my life. And those moments when God encouraged me and reassured me, when He alone held me together were intoxicating. I LONG for more of Him. The way to more of Him is to follow Him, to let go of my plan and follow His - and that is my first and most important aspiration.

Next comes the less serious stuff! The stuff that watching my kids over this weekend inspired in my heart!

In 2011, I aspire to RUN with great joy!

I vow to make spending time with my girlfriends a top priority! Coffee or wine, anyone?

I promise to play - and not worry about the mess!

I aspire to rest with joy and appreciation instead of guilt!


I plan to spend many moments snuggling the ones I love, before they are too big to allow me to snuggle them!

I vow to be silly more and serious less! I am much more comfortable with serious than silly. However, God has given me such good teachers in my children, so I plan to seize opportunities to laugh! to play hide and seek! to tickle! to make funny faces! to eat cookie dough! to have squirt gun wars!

Last one - I have set a goal to read through the entire Bible this year. I have never done that. I have read bits and pieces. I have scoured many sections, but I have never followed through a "read your Bible in a year plan." So I have decided this is the year. I was truly shocked at how little you read each day in one of these plans (you can google them). Most days it is only four chapters, some days less. That is like 10 to 15 minutes of reading. So that means it is very doable, as long as I am consistent!

The planner that I am feels much better now!

***Father God, I have NO IDEA what you have planned for me this year! My hearts desire is to follow you wherever you lead. I aspire to willingly abandon my plan for Yours. I confess fear in saying that - because I like to think I am in control. But, I am so thankful that You do have a plan for me. A plan that will prosper me, not harm me. A plan to give me HOPE and an amazing future in You! Please grant me the grace and courage to follow wherever You lead!