"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Monday, January 30, 2017

Choosing Gratitude Over "Grumpitude" Day 18

On Monday mornings, Mataya and I need to be dressed for the office and out the door by 7:00.  It is a challenge, to say the least!

This morning felt extra rushed for some reason.  Joshua was moving even more slowly than usual.  Then he insisted on pancakes for breakfast.  While I could have said no, I decided it would be simpler to mix them than to try to talk him into another menu item, so pancake batter was added to the morning.  Mataya wanted to stay home.  She began to melt down when she saw me carrying things to the car.  Quite honestly, I was debating between melting down myself or not, too!

And then my phone chimed that I had a text.  I definitely did not have time for texting, but I glanced at it to make sure it was not urgent.

In the end, the text was urgent - but not in any way you would expect.

The text was a Bible verse sent randomly, so randomly it was perhaps not even truly meant for me.

And yet it SO was.

It read:

Romans 8:28 "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him and have been called according to His purpose."

My first reaction was something like, "Oh that verse.  Nothing new there." as I rushed out to the car with my computer bag and files.

Thankfully, even in the chaos, God speaks!  As I hurried back into the house to coax Mataya into her clothes, he whispered, "This IS the purpose I have for you, Alicia.  Feeding your kids.  Getting them off to school safely and sweetly.  Caring for your husband as his office assistant.  This is what I have for you."

Ya know what?  When you realize anew that this, this mundane, yet crazy, noisy, obstacle filled Monday morning mothering IS the purpose you have been called to - rather than just a bunch of annoying inconveniences - it becomes holy.  Precious.  Important.

Being reminded of my purpose did not take away the chaos.  It was actually a fairly difficult morning.  However as I approached it through the lens of "purpose" rather than "problematic" the focus of my day flipped as did the attitude of my heart.

Thank you, Jesus, for reminding me so kindly that this life I live is filled with purpose, even in the mundane.

And just so you  know - your life is filled with purpose, too! Especially in the mundane.