"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Thursday, April 8, 2010

A Day Without Shoes


Here is a sneak peak of Krissy surrounded by shoes. 

Last Thursday Krissy proposed to her student council that their school participate in "A Day Without Shoes."  The idea was embraced and implemented very quickly, since today was THE day.  With the Easter holiday the student body was told yesterday about the event taking place today. 


Students were encouraged to go shoeless, but required to wear socks.  Check out Krissy's toes!


When I dropped Krissy off at school this morning, I had no idea what to expect.  I was a little worried that she would be disappointed in the response. 

I had NOTHING to worry about. 

Each of the 7 teams at her school was given a hamper.  They were all overflowing.  The shoes that the kids donated filled the back of my Expedition with the seats folded down!

A total of 175 pairs of shoes were donated!

They are a variety of shapes and sizes.  There are 34 pairs for little girls, 25 pairs for little boys, 67 pairs suitable for teen/adult girls, and the rest for teen/adult boys.  The students also donated some money to pay for shipping costs or to be otherwise donated to people in need while we are in Ethiopia.  We also have 59+ pairs of flip flops that were donated by the children of our church.  To be honest I have no idea exactly what will happen with all these shoes.  But if God sent them our way, I trust He has a plan for each and every one of them.  I have no doubt that we will find just the right places to bring these shoes and what an amazing adventure it will be!  (If any of you have suggestions for shipping/distributing these shoes, please let me know.)


Thank you God for providing us this amazing opportunity!  Thank you for blessing Krissy's first efforts to care for the poor.  Thank you for the wonderful teachers at her school.  I am humbled at their response to my daughter's desire.  Thank you for the students that sent shoes our way.  Please guide us to the right people and places so we bring these shoes to the destination You have in mind.  It is an honor to serve you!