"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Monday, April 12, 2010

What does God expect of us?

Since beginning on this journey to adopt our son, my eyes and heart have been opened to things I never before chose to see and hear.  I would be lying if I said prior to this experience I did not know that there was poverty in the world, but I chose to insulate myself from it.  Many times I would change the channel if a program or news report about famine, homelessness, or helplessness was aired.  I had been a follower of Christ all my life but I somehow managed to ignore the 2000 times that I was commanded to care for widows, orphans, and the oppressed.


As my eyes began to open, I was overwhelmed and humbled.  I have truly been seeking God in a new way.  What does He expect?


One book that I would recommend if you are asking this same question is The Hole In Our Gospel by Richard Sterns.  To see more about this book link to http://www.theholeinourgospel.com/


Finding Joshua has been more than just bringing home a child that needs a family.  It has been a journey to learn more about the world.  Last night Brenna was sounding out a word that started with "Ug" her first guess was Uganda.  That really made me think about the way our family's focus has changed.  As first graders my other kids would not have heard the word Uganda.  I am thankful that our world has enlarged.  I am so proud and continually amazed at how easy it is for my children to embrace the world.  They do not make helping hard.  They do not come up with excuses.  They do not wait for the perfect time, enough money, the most brilliant plan.  They simply love and reach out!


I do not want this open view to narrow once we have Joshua home.  I want to continue to learn more of what God expects of me.  I want to keep following.  I have no idea where He will lead.  I am certain it will be amazing and difficult and scary and beautiful beyond my wildest dreams.


If you are seeking... wondering what God expects - take a few minutes to check out the link above.  Watch some of the videos, order the book, take a step!  Who knows where He will lead?!  (This is not a book about adoption.  It is a book about serving, sharing, stepping out, using what we have.  Remember Krissy's example last week.  We do not have to have much to give much.  Krissy had an idea and a few posters.  God turned that into 175 pairs of shoes.  Please do not talk yourself out of serving because you do not have enough to make a difference!)