"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Surprising Connections

Last winter as the guys were beginning to plan their trip to Ethiopia, Chad decided that he wanted to sponsor two more kids.  Since Jamison would be on the trip, we allowed him to choose the kids.  I was surprised when he chose two little peanuts, one boy and one girl - both five year olds .  I nearly suggested he choose at least one older child because they tend to be more interactive when you visit; however, for once in my life, I kept my mouth shut!

Today I have been totally overwhelmed to learn just how God ordained Jamison's choice was.


This photo is of Jamison and Chad with Fikru, the little guy Jamison chose to sponsor.  They were able to meet him when they visited Jemo today.  One thing lead to another and they were allowed to visit his home.

When they arrived at his home, Chad immediately recognized Fikru's father.  The last time we were in Ethiopia, Chad worked with the men of Jemo to build a fence.  On our final day there, he gave his workboots to one of the men he had served alongside.  Chad is very particular about his workboots.  I was shocked and very moved when he chose to give them away.

The man he gave his boots to is Fikru's dad!

But GOD!

When he saw Chad, he immediately remembered him and gave him a big hug.  Through the interpreter he told the story (which Chad already remembered as well) of meeting Chad in the past.

While the men worked on the fence, my friend Kristen was entrusted with a tiny little boy.  He was shy and sad - but stayed with Kristen as his dad instructed him to do.  I am sure I have a picture of him somewhere. That little guy is our Fikru.  I remember him clearly, and yet I did not recognize him from his sponsorship picture.

The fact that God and God alone has joined our families in this way is filling me with awe and joy.

Chad said they had a nice visit at Fikru's home.  Fikru's dad is the night security guard at Jemo.  His mom stays home and cares for Fikru, their only child.  They have a very modest home.  They enjoyed pictures of Chad's recent bear hunt.  Fikru made eating motions and laughed with joy when he saw the bear.  Fikru's parents were thrilled by the visit.  Little Fikru told Chad, "We are always happy, but when you visit we are overjoyed."

Chad asked if they had any questions for he and Jamison.  They said they did not, but that they would appreciate our prayers.  Chad said he would like to pray for them immediately. Then this beautiful family knelt on the floor of their home and my husband and son lay hands on them and prayed for them.

That thought makes me weep.  I am so, so thankful.

Not being in Ethiopia is very hard for me.  Very hard.  I have grieved not being there with Jamison on his first trip as I have been with our girls.  I had felt like God wanted me to lay down my desire to be there yet again, and I followed. . . begrudgingly.  BUT, because of this incredible connection that I was not aware of, I am at complete peace.  There is no doubt in my mind that Chad, not I, should be there this week.  God was laying out this plan, and He has given me a huge blessing in allowing me a glimpse of his sovereignty today.

My heart is overflowing.

"Many are the plans of a man's heart, but it is the Lord's will that will prevail." Proverbs 19:21

Thank you Jesus that YOUR will prevails.