"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Please PRAY Now!

I just received word from our agency that Ethiopia has changed some of its adoption policies. They are requiring all adoptive families (both mom and dad) to travel to Addis Ababa to be present for the court appointment. We would then either stay until all Joshua G's documents were ready for travel 6 to 8 weeks later, or return home without Joshua and THEN fly back to ET in 6 or 8 weeks to bring him home. This is majorly stressful news, because...
1. Chad had not planned to go to ET at all. We have not budgeted the time or money for his travel.
2. How do I go to ET and meet my son and return without him?
3. How could I do my job from ET? We do not have a back-up for my position. I can be gone for a week and then do less than usual for longer, but I have no idea how I could be gone for 6 to 8 weeks.
4. Sometimes families do not pass court the first try - would Chad need to stay until we passed or just for the first try???
5. How would Krissy and my mom come with?
6. How do we pay for an extended trip?
7. What about my other kids... I have left them for a week BUT 6 weeks or more!

OK I could continue, but you get the picture!

SO what I need from all of you is to pray like crazy. You see our agency is trying to get families who accepted referrals more than a month ago grandfathered into the old policy. Please pray that we will be able to follow the old policy.

OK in defense of the Ethiopian government they have decided to put this policy in place because of the growing numbers of parents who decide NOT to bring their children home once they meet them. YUCK!!!! Imagine being that child that is abandoned twice. It makes me so mad I am injuring the keyboard as I type. Many countries have a 2 trip or extended stay policy in international adoption. I don't think Ethiopia is out of line to ask this of parents. I am just freaking out because we did not plan for it and may not have much time to plan for it. I expect a court date any day. Court dates have been 2 weeks after they are announced lately. That could mean that Chad and I will be required to be in Ethiopia in a couple weeks!

AND I THOUGHT I HAD ENOUGH TO WORRY ABOUT BEFORE I GOT THIS EMAIL!!!!!

OK I have had it! I am tired and stressed and weary. I need a break! Please pray for this whole situation and all the families it could affect. I will post more information as I receive it. I do not usually post things without all the details, but I really need your prayer support on this one. I do not want us all to freak out and overreact, God has a plan in all this. I don't know how it will all sort out, but I know that he will be faithful.

My agency is going to try to get more information to me tomorrow. I will of course relay whatever I hear.