"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Thursday, March 31, 2011

All Alone?

Ever wonder what it feels like to be a child alone, a child abandoned and living on the streets?
This is an excerpt from "Out of the Black Shadows (The amazing Transformation of Steven Lungu)" by Steven Lungu.

"After a visit to the dustbins and the market left-overs, I found a sack at the market, and at twilight headed for the bridge. I crept beneath it, lay down and rolled up in my sacking. But I hadn't counted on the wind rushing about, catching and clawing at me with bitter fingers. I lay and shivered, snuggling deeper in the sand. Finally I sat up, and dug a sort of hollow grave in the sand, scooping it out with chilled fingers. I lay down again in the hole, pulled the sack over me, and carefully swept the sand back over me. That acted as some sort of shelter, and I dozed fitfully, the huge African stars wheeling slowly above my head. I wondered fearfully how I would ever survive to grow up.

I rarely cried any more, but always had a constant deep fear in me. I did not want to live, but I did not know how to stop living, and I was frightened that one day I would not survive, and starve to death. With the constant hunger and fear and my cough, I always felt unwell.

I did not expect to live to grow up. I saw the future as one long lonely struggle on my own. I felt so alone and scared. I did not see how life could ever get any better. I found I could not plan - fear of thinking ahead panicked me. I could not concentrate on things. All my life was focused on mere survival. Even planning a few hours ahead would have panicked me."

The author is describing his life when he was about 10 years old. He later describes 13 as this,

"But at thirteen I was terrified that there was no one in the world to whom I could turn. Living rough makes some youngsters self-confident and street-wise. Not me. I constantly longed for security, for somewhere I would be able to relax and be safe. I ached to be loved by my family - the people who should have loved me but did not. This bothered me a lot - I had a great sense of loss."

By the amazing grace of God, Steven eventually was saved both spiritually and physically. He became in evangelist. His book is his testimony. It is magnificent, eye-opening, powerful, hopeful and challenging.

Summer is coming (right?!?), let me know if you need a great read for your vacation. I share!