"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Rebuking Jesus?

I am still faithfully reading my Bible each day with the goal to read each and every word written in it by December 31. I (finally) got through the book of Numbers!!! That was the toughest book thus far for me. Reading Numbers was a challenge. It did not inspire me. (Yes, that is a terrible thing to say about God's word. It is honest though.) Reading Numbers was an act of faithfulness. I committed to reading ALL of the Bible, so I am!

If you would like to join me in reading the Bible daily, I found my reading schedule here. Even though I struggled to stay committed while reading the book of Numbers, I am truly enjoying spending planned time in God's word each day.

One of the passages I read this week was Mark 8:31-33

"He (Jesus) then began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders, chief priests and teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and after three days rise again. He spoke plainly about this, and Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him.
But when Jesus turned and looked at his disciples, he rebuked Peter. "Get behind me, satan!" he said. "You do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men."

When I first read this I smiled a bit about the gall of Peter. He actually rebuked Jesus! Can you imagine looking the son of God in the face and telling Him what to do?

Do you know what God whispered to my arrogant thoughts? He whispered, "Think about it Alicia. I bet you can imagine rebuking My son. You have, have you not?"

I know when God is talking to me, teaching me, guiding me because His words seep into my heart and mind. They will NOT leave me alone.

I have been thinking about His words all week. I have rebuked Jesus! UGH!!! I have told Him that I do not like or agree with His plan. I have questioned Him why? why? why? and when? when? when? I have even had to nerve to REFUSE Him, to ignore Him, to deny Him, to doubt Him.

God wiped my self-satisfied smile right off my face. He got my attention. He has me constantly questioning whether or not what is on my mind, in my heart, and written on my calendar are things that He has in mind or if they are the things of men...

Thank you Jesus for teaching me. I am so sorry for the times I have rebuked you. The cry of my heart is to know You more and to serve You better. Love, me