"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Coffee, Cats, and Kitchen Jam Sessions

It has been a busy week, one in which my brain has been busier than my schedule! I am working on sorting through a bunch of thoughts, conversations, and possibilities. In the meantime, I need to take just a moment to document, and thus remember, some oh-so-sweet moments that happened in the midst of it all.

Mornings are typically crazy! We have a system, and all goes pretty well, but it is BUSY! Too busy to dance... except for Wednesday. This Wednesday we were ready 7 minutes early! We celebrated by putting in a great CD and jamming out in the kitchen!


It made my whole day better!

Joshua and I took the day off today. We dropped the girls off at school and then took a little road trip to visit Auntie Teresa. Before we hit the highway, daddy treated us to Starbucks. Joshua was BEYOND thrilled. He loves coffee, so a decaf latte made his morning.

(Watching Joshua drink coffee is always bittersweet for me. It has been obvious since day one that he is an "experienced" coffee drinker. When I questioned Abebe about it, he confirmed that when children in the villages of Ethiopia are hungry they are commonly given coffee. He said the warmth and caffeine made them feel a bit better. While he did not recommend we continue this practice, coffee is a soothing treat for Joshua. He loves to sneak a sip from my cup! I figure a decaf latte is probably not much better or worse than a cup of hot cocoa, so he is allowed "coffee milk" from time to time. However, my heart always hurts for a little guy he once was as I see him smiling over the rim of his cup.)

Joshua was very excited to go to Auntie Teresa's house. We have spent a lot of time with her, but we have never been to her house. Brenna and Sierra have told him all about it though!

He was most excited to meet Auntie Teresa's cat. He had met her dogs, but the cat remained a mystery. He made me laugh out loud for half a day as he practiced the cat's name, Nickel. His first tries came out as "Nipple." You can imagine how hilarious it was to hear him brag that he was going to get to see "Auntie Teresa's Nipple." Yep, we got that corrected in short order!
So here he is sizing up the pretty kitty.

They became friends! His favorite part of the day was playing with Nickel.

A few other moments I want to remember:
  • Joshua went with his daddy and I to do some shopping. When we got into the vehicle Chad walked around to open my door for me. As Chad was walking around the SUV to his door Joshua asked,"Why daddy open the door for mommy?" I explained that really nice boys open doors for girls to be kind. When we got home, Joshua INSISTED on getting unbuckled and then crawling into the front seat and onto my lap. He wanted to make sure mommy knew he was a "nicey boy." He sat on my lap and proudly opened the door for me. (sniff, sniff)
  • I asked Joshua if mommy loves him this week. He responded, "Mommy, I love you Joshua SOOOOOO MUCH!"
  • One of his favorite new sayings is, "Mommy Give Me Your LIPS!" I am supposed to respond, "Joshua Give Me Your LIPS!" Then we kiss and giggle.
  • Joshua loves to have me (or anyone for that matter) watch his tricks. He yells, "Mommy, watchie this." If the trick works, I am supposed to clap. If not, he quickly says, "Not Yet. Watchie THIS!"
  • Joshua loves to tattle on everyone. His most common phrase is, "no really nice!" This morning Brenna told him he better wear green or he would be pinched. He came to me in tears because "no really nice pinch Joshua!" (We found some green and no one pinched Joshua!)