"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Monday, March 7, 2011

Seeking To Serve

After Sierra's volleyball game on Saturday, we loaded the crew in my SUV and took a quick trip to visit my Grandparent's. Their church had graciously invited our family to share about finding Joshua, adoption, Ethiopia, and orphan care after their service on Sunday.

We arrived Saturday afternoon and had some sweet family time. It was the third time Joshua had met his Great Grandparents, but the first time that they had really MET HIM. His confidence and security have changed so much! Here are some of the moments I am tucking into my heart:
  • Joshua giving Grandma and Grandpa Great big mah tah mah tah hugs.
  • My Grandma patting sweet Joshua's head and telling him she is so glad he is here!
  • Joshua loving Grandma Great's buns (as in bread)! (They are legendary!)
  • Joshua sneaking candy from Grandpa Great's stash.
  • Joshua being totally infatuated with his cousin Courtenay. He only had eyes for her!
  • My Grandma telling me she wishes she would live long enough to see what Joshua will become. (She is determined he will be "her" doctor because he is so very smart.)
  • Being able to sit at the table and visit with my Aunt and Grandma while the kids played.
  • The look on Brenna's face when she realized Grandma and Grandpa Great's church serves real wine with communion.
  • Watching Jamison launch paper airplanes off the balcony of the church... I always wanted to try that! (It was OK too. No rules broken, fyi.)
  • Hearing Joshua tell Grandpa Great, "Joshua no I like buckets Ethiopia. Joshua I like toilets."

It was an incredible honor to share my heart with the very church who "raised" my mom, married my parents, and baptized me. It was in little country churches that my spiritual journey began.


"for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God,

punishing the children for the sins of the fathers

to the third and fourth generations of

those who hate me,

but showing LOVE to a thousand generations

of those who love me and obey my commands."

Exodus 20: 5-6

I am so very thankful for the faithfulness demonstrated by my grandparents and the members of their church who have prayed for me even when I was "only a promise."

I was able to share Joshua's video with them. I introduced it briefly and said something about how thankful we are that Joshua is here, Joshua is well, and Joshua is healthy and happy. Joshua responded, "AMEN!"






I was also able to share about the culture and needs of the Ethiopian people. In my hearts the people of Ethiopia became family when Joshua became our son. Just as my husband's family and its culture and traditions became a part of who I am when we married, Joshua's Ethiopian heritage is now a part of us. It is impossible for me to share our family's story without sharing about Joshua's birth place.

I learned so very much through Joshua's adoption. I learned how to take trusting and following God to a whole different level. I learned so much about poverty and oppression. I learned that we are all called to serve. The problems of this world are so huge that we can easily decide that our small offerings do not matter. We can decide to feel helpless and do nothing. After all God really does not need us. He really does not you know! But in His infinite grace He chooses to use us. I have learned that there is nothing as beautiful as being used by God. When we step up in any way, big or small, He blesses us in such incredible and unexpected ways.


So... how does God want to use you?