"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Friday, November 8, 2013

November Adoration - Long-Suffering God

2 Peter 3:9

"The Lord is not slow in keeping His promise, as some understand slowness.  He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."
 
 
I like to be in a hurry.  Or at least I must, because I am almost always hurrying!  I have been working hard at slowing down.  Not rushing so much.  Savoring life, rather than pushing through it.  I think often of Ann Voskamp's words, "Life is not an emergency."
 
Hillariously enough, two of my chindren are incapable of hurrying.  They refuse to be rushed.  We have practiced rushing - I am serious here!  (I do know it is laughable!)  While I have worked hard at not asking them to rush unless it is truly necessary, and at giving them ample time and ample warning before having to leave the house; they have had to practice hurrying.  Because, let's face it, once in a while it IS a necessary skill!
 
 
But the Lord. . . he is never slow to keep His promises.  And then Peter adds - "as some would understand slowness."
 
I so appreciate that add-on.  (Especially from Peter!  I think Peter and I have a few things in common when it comes to being eager and impatient.)
 
Sometimes in my way of thinking the Lord is ssssslllllllooooooooowwwwwwwww to keep His promises.  I want answers, movement, progress - something, anything!  And He insists I wait.
 
That is not my favorite.
 
Because I do not understanf His thoughts and plans.
 
I love how this verse ends.
 
He is soooo patient because He wants to give us all ample time to come to Him.  It is His greatest desire for all of us to be His.  He waits and waits and waits, in order to give us time to get it together.
 
That is a pretty cool reason to wait.
 
It is also a pretty cool reason to share about Him all. the. time.
 
 
Patient, long-suffereing Lord God almighty.  It is so good that You are so patient.  Your timing is always perfect.  Forgive me for the times I question and doubt.  I am so very thankful that You wait for us to come to You.  I am so thankful for second and third and fourth and fiftieth chances.