"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Saturday, November 2, 2013

November Adoration - Tender God, Who Knows My Frame

Today's scripture is Psalm 103:13-14
"As a father has compassion on his children, 
so the Lord has compassion on those who fear Him;
for He knows how we are formed,
He remembers that we are dust."

As I prepared to read Psalm 103 this morning, with thoughts in mind of Tender God, Who Knows My Frame, these are not the verses I expected.  In retrospect what I expected to read were words all about how carefully and lovingly and deliberately God created me.  I had to laugh after reading the actual selection, because without even realizing it, my expectation was to be reminded about how special I am.

How human is that?  The theme for this month is to adoration, not adoration of Me - but adoration of Thee.  I would like to think of myself as fairly selfless, but this morning was a good reminder of how often I make life all about me.  

So, my morning began with a prayer of apology and a promise to work on truly adoring God.  It was actually a beautiful discovery.  I am thankful for the way God chose to quietly and lovingly point me in the direction of truly adoring Him today.

As the Psalm says, we are dust.  Dust is messy.  Dust is easily blown around.  Dust is extremely unimportant.  However God used dust to form us.  I love that.  I am messy.  I am easily blown off course.  I am unimportant. . . on my own.

Yet, God has compassion on me.  He understands me so well.  He remembers the dust from which I came.  It is ONLY in Him that I can do anything worthwhile.  It is ONLY in Him that I can truly love.  It is ONLY in Him that I can have compassion, grace, mercy, patience, etc. . .

Nothing is about me, it all points to Him.

Thank you, Tender God, for gently putting me in my place this morning.  I am so sorry for all the times I adore myself and my plans rather than truly, humbly adoring You. Forgive me.  I so appreciate that despite the fact that You know me inside and out, you have great compassion on me, in fact you choose to love me.  You know my every thought, my every deed; and yet You love me.  It is unfathomable.  Any good thing that comes through me is ALL You.  Only You are good, and the fact that You choose me takes my breath away.