"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

November Adoration - My Father who Sees in Secret

Matthew 6:6  (I decided to include Matthew 6:5-13)

"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men.  I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full.  But when you pray, go to our room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen.  Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.  And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words.  Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him.  This then is how you should pray:
Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be Your name,
Your kingdom come,
Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.  
Forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors,
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil one."

I decided to focus on a passage today, rather than just a verse.  For one thing, I am truly feeling challenged to pray the Lord's Prayer.  Typically that is a ceremonial prayer for me.  But in the last days I am feeling to pray it "for real."  I am also feeling challenged to copy the format in my own personal prayers.  I appreciate how God chooses to reinforce His lessons.  Seeing this again today was good!

The part of this passage that I was instructed to focus on today is highlighted.  "But when you pray, go to our room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen.  Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

As I read this, the Lord brought to mind a different scripture.  "Wherever two or more are gathered in My name, I will be there."  (my rough paraphrase)

That said, there are many ways to pray.  This is NOT His only teaching on prayer.

What He is whispering in my heart today is all about humility.  It is not so much about where you pray, how many others are there, or the words I say.  It is ALL about a spirit that is willing to listen and yield to Him.  After all, even before I start praying, He knows.  It is I who do not.

Lord Jesus, thank you for listening, even though You know all that I have experienced, think, and feel.  You bless me with Your very presence living inside of me.  You surround me with your love, peace, mercy, and grace.  Create in me a pure heart.  One that is teachable.  One that longs to yield to You.  And You alone.