"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Monday, November 11, 2013

November Adoration - One Who Gives Freely

Romans 8:32

"He who did not spare His own Son, but gave him up for all of us -  how will He not also, along with him, graciously give us all things."

I had a most unique morning.  I was home alone last night with Krissy and Jamison.  Chad, Sierra, and Brenna spent the weekend deer hunting. Sunday evening Joshua chose to sleep at Grandma and Grandpa.  So this morning, I was alone with our two oldest kids.  Which meant, we all slept in.  I did not wake up until 8 am!  At that point I got up, brewed a cup of coffee, and climbed back into bed to do some reading.  It was divine.

I have had the privilege of attending a women's Bible study this fall.  It has been such a blessing to me.  It has been a God thing from the very beginning.

Last summer I had considered leading a women's Bible study this fall.  As I considered what resource I should use, one book stood out to me.  It was called Jonah - Navigating a Life Interrupted by Priscilla Shirer.  There was just something about it that beckoned to me.  In the end, there was not much interest in a woman's study, so I scrapped the idea.

Early this fall, I was really struggling.  I ended up searching the websites of other local churches. . . looking for something, though I was not entirely sure what.  I found a local church that was hosting a women's study of the very book, I had felt drawn too over the summer.  So, before I could talk myself out of it, I registered online for the study.  This is very unlike me.  I hate to leave my family in the evening.  It is also unusual for me to go to something without a personal invitation.  I was far from comfortable with the idea - but I was also desperate.  I was in dire need of a place in which I could hear from God, and this felt like it may be the place.

The study is being held at a large church, so I had decided that I could probably slip in and out each week unnoticed.  Hilariously enough, though the church is large, the study is small.  There would be no anonymity.

Few things about this study have been as I would have expected, yet God has used it and this time in beautiful ways.  He is speaking.  Or perhaps, I am finally listening.  I am not sure which.  Either way, my ears and heart feel more open than they have in a long time.  I am beyond thankful.

Anyway - this morning, I was sipping my coffee, going through my Bible study homework, and praying with absolutely no reason to rush. It was a really special time.  The homework ended with these words, "God is more than just a dream giver.  He is a wildest dream catcher.  He can do beyond that which you can imagine as He uses your obedience as a foundation for what He is building."

It ended with this writing prompt: Conclude today's lesson by considering this and recording your thoughts in the margin.  

I responded with thoughts of all that worries me about following the path onto which I think the Lord may be leading me.  Is it responsible?  What if I am hearing God wrong and end up letting Him down?  Would it cause extra stress for Chad and/or the kids?  Etc. . .

I spent a bit of time in prayer and in silence.  Then I switched gears, deciding to read the verse I was supposed to consider as a part of the November Adoration goal I have set. 

And what a beautiful gift this verse was.  "He who did not spare His own Son for us all - but gave Him up for us all, how will he not also, along with Him, graciously give us all things?"

I felt my very soul sigh over this reminder.  Thank you God for speaking in this way, on this very day, at this very time.

It is not about God being some sort of a genie in the bottle and giving us fancy houses and cars and all the other stuff we choose to idolize.  It IS about God giving us all we need to do the things He calls us to do.  It was the exact thing I needed to read today.

Father God, You are willing to always, always give us all we need. No matter the cost.  Thank you for so clearly reminding me of this today.  When I leap for You, you will always catch me.  You have already been preparing the way.  Though the road is sure to be challenging, I will not walk it alone.  My family will be OK.  You have us covered.  Oh how incredibly grateful I am.  You fill me with an indescribable peace, hope and joy.  You are so very good.  Thank you for speaking to my soul today.