"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

A Month of Wonder: Adored

Yesterday was my birthday.  My 41st birthday.

It began as any other day - at 5am with a cup of coffee, my Bible, and my journal.  I brought Chad a bit of breakfast before he headed to work.  To my surprise and delight, Mataya slept in an hour longer than usual.  AND she woke happy!  (That is a miracle people.  She is typically a GRUMP when she wakes up.)

Joshua reminded Mataya that it was my birthday, and she insisted we find a candle.  So we made muffins.  The littles sang "Happy Birthday" and then proceeded to blow out my candle about 25 times.  They laughed gleefully.  It was precious.  
 After breakfast, they joined me in a Pilates session.  That is always a hoot.  Then Joshua volunteered to entertain Mataya while I showered.  I thought that was the best news EVER . . . until I got out of the shower and checked on them.  Joshua had found "neigh" videos on his IPAD to keep Mataya happy.  Which would have been super sweet, had the "neigh" videos been pretty much anything other than horses mating.  Happy Birthday to me. . . I got to explain all about the "birds and bees" to Joshua.  We then discussed some new search terms he could use when finding videos.  

You should have heard the teens laugh when I described this scene to them.

I took all the kids (minus Krissy and Wyatt, who were otherwise engaged) to lunch.

And then. . .
the big kids headed home with the littles, while I did a bit of shopping and checked into a hotel.

You see, my birthday wish was to take a nap, enjoy a long bath (without little people knocking on the door) and sleep all night, waking whenever I wished in the morning.  So Chad booked a hotel room with a big tub, gave me the afternoon to myself, and showed up at about 6 to take me to dinner.


I can not tell you how refreshing it was to have some time to myself.  
Quiet and unrushed.
It was powerfully beautiful.

I enjoyed time alone,

a calm, uninterrupted visit with my parents when we met for appetizers,

and a truly beautiful dinner with my beau, sitting alone in a small private dining room adorned with a fireplace.  It was magical - being rested, mind and body, allowed me to fully focus on Chad - which was a gift to us both.

Though Chad left the hotel bright and early to head to work, I slept in.  I savored my coffee and devotion time, enjoyed a cardio workout, breakfast, and shower SOLO.

I left the hotel feeling at least three years younger than when I arrived.

I also confess that I struggled with guilt as I planned this birthday.  My kids teased that all I wanted for my birthday was to "get rid of them."  As you all (hopefully) know that could not be further from the truth.  I love being a wife and mom more than anything in the world - but I was also running on empty.  I knew I needed rest and space.  I needed to recharge.  I reminded myself that Jesus went off by himself many times during his ministry on earth to rest and reconnect with His Father, and in the end, I packed my bag with great joy and anticipation.

(A side note here.  Ladies, one thing I have learned in the past couple of years is to have the grace and courage to ASK for what I desire to have.  True this birthday was dreamy - but it only happened because I chose to be vulnerable and ASK Chad (very specifically) to plan it.  He LOVES to care for me - but in the times that I hint, he has sometimes missed my clues.  At one time I was uncomfortable asking for things. I didn't want to be needy or demanding.  However, when Chad asks me what I want, he truly wants to know.  We have both received much joy from the wishes he has granted me.)
I arrived home today and received this amazing bouquet, along with hugs from a handful of kids who were very happy to see their momma.  There is no better greeting than "MOMMY!!!!!"

And no better job, for me anyway, than this one.

I sit in awe tonight of just how much adoration I feel.  
Adored by this family I serve.
And oh how I adore them.