"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Welcome to Adulthood, Jamison!

I have decided to make this December, this season when we celebrate the birth of our Savior, a month of wonder in my heart.  Watching Mataya and Wyatt become so totally excited and in awe of the tiny things has spoken to a place deep inside of me.  I want to view this season through their eyes, while savoring it with the wisdom my "experience" has provided.  That said I intend to approach each day with a heart of wonder, watching for the little gifts that God hides along the way.

On Dec. 2 it is never hard for me to stand back in awe and wonder.

Dec. 2 1997, Jamison entered the world.

He has (almost always) been an easy child.  My pregnancy was perfect.  I felt great.  I never got "huge."  (Which was not true with my girls!)  His labor was incredibly gentle. 

He has continued that way.

Except for a few very major temper tantrums, which will go down in Dietrich family history for their epicness, he has always been very easy to parent.  He is capable of standing on his own two feet and making good decisions, yet willing to take the advice of others into consideration as well.

Jamison turning 18 causes me nothing but joy, anticipation, and peace.  I have no doubt that he is on a great path.  Sure he will make mistakes and go through trials in the years to come, we all will.  BUT - I have total confidence that he will handle himself well.

 In the last two years, I have matured much as a parent. Though they were the hardest lessons of my mommy career (thus far anyway), the lessons were good.  I now (usually) understand that as my kids become adults, how I raised them mattered - but it is only a starting place.  They must decide how to proceed.  And when they make choices that I would not advise, it is not necessarily about me or my "lacking."  Similarly, when they make choices with which I agree, it is not necessarily about me or my "awesomeness."  It is by the grace of God that any of us do anything worthwhile.  Submitting daily to His authority and trusting Him wholeheartedly with the ones I most love is a choice today, tomorrow, and always - but He is worthy.  He is able.  He will never fail.

So, I stand in awe of this 18 year old man that God entrusted to Chad and I.
What an honor it is to raise His children.
Thank you, Father, for the gift of Jamison.  He is Yours.  May You find deep pleasure in his life.  May You be glorified in his choices.  May you protect and direct his path all the days of his life.


 It is a crazy awesome privilege to watch my mom snuggle my grandson.
Seeing little Wyatt snuggling happily into her shoulder made my heart sigh last night.
They are both so special to me.
And...
just take a look at these four.

My parents have always been good grandparents, but they delight in these little ones so very much.
It is a delight that is tangible, is it not?
And certainly a delight that is shared by these babes.
The four of them make my heart very happy.