"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

A Month of Wonder: Brothers


Joshua came home from school very upset.

He and his posse of best friends were having a blast at recess when it happened...

They were circled up, high fiving, and declaring themselves so close they could be brothers.  And one of them responded, "But YOU can not be our brother, Joshua."

"Why?" he responded.

"Well, you have brown and we all have white skin.  YOU can NOT be our brother."

Joshua responded, "Yes I can.  That is a rude thing to say!  I have already have one brother, and he IS white brother!"

He left the group at that point.

Thankfully, he told me all about it.  He was absolutely indignant. 

As he completed his story, he raged, "Mom!  "R" should totally understand that brothers do not have to match.  He has a brother that does not have the same parents as he does. It is still his brother.  Why doesn't he get it?  He thought I was RUDE to say he was rude?!?  That is so weird."

I was so very proud of him as I listened.

He WAS hurt.  He had tears in his eyes as he told me about it - but he chose to stand up for himself, with courage and respect.  AND though he was mad and hurt and insulted, he did not doubt his value.

He told me he had made a decision.  If those boys make comments like that, he will not be playing with them.  They are "the best soccer players" - but if they are going to be rude, he will play with someone else.

I hate that this conversation happened, and yet - we all knew it was coming.  The confidence in which he handled himself makes me so proud.

Of both Joshua and of his brother.  There is no doubt in Joshua's mind that he is 100% Jamison's brother.  That is a two way deal.  Jamison has always bragged about having a little brother who is black.  It has been a characteristic that Jamison speaks of with pride.  The bond my boys have is 100% natural and 100% real.  It gave Joshua a foundation in which to face his classmates with courage and pride and self-confidence today!

I stand in awe today of the beautiful foundation that brotherhood is.