"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Monday, December 7, 2015

A Month of Wonder: Simplicity

My alarm goes off at 5:18 every morning.

At that point I peel myself out of bed, turn on the coffee, and have a little bit of time with Jesus and my journal before the rush begins.  Joshua is up at 6:15 (or sooner) and breakfast needs to be made, backpacks packed, bus cards found, water bottles filled, coffee poured, and good-byes said to 5 of my dear ones by 7:25.  The wee hours are busy - but at 7:25 the dust settles, and Mataya throws her arms in the air and says, "Rock you!  Tree!  Coffee!  Drink!"

Which translates to "Mommy, please hold me close and rock me in the rocking chair by the Christmas tree.  You can drink coffee.  I will have apple juice.  We need to connect before any more rushing occurs."


So, I joyfully scoop up my littlest bundle.  Grab our drinks.  And we rock and snuggle and tickle until we are ready to reface the day.

I stand in awe and wonder and total gratitude that "rock you tree" can be a part of our morning routine.  I do not take the fact that I am able to be home with Mataya lightly.  It is a dream come true.  A gift I did not expect.  And I will be forever grateful for these moments of simplicity.