"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Thursday, December 10, 2015

A Month of Wonder: Appliances

It has been a very busy week.

As I rushed around the house today, I was in awe of just how easy my busy life is.  I was brewing coffee, washing dishes, washing and drying clothes, and simmering supper ALL AT THE SAME TIME and with basically NO labor from myself.

It is truly amazing to think of all the appliances and electronic "aids" I use in a day.

It is totally humbling to think how easy my task list is to complete.

In America, it is easy to forget how blessed we are.  Today, I walk from room to room in awe and wonder of my material blessings.  Especially all the gadgets that make mommy-ing easier.

Although the appliances I would never want to live without are my washer and dryer (along with the fridge and hot water heater, of course), my favorite "simplifier" today was my crock pot.  The ease of dumping supper into a pot and letting it cook all day, and then enjoying a delicious meal eight hours later  - not to mention the enjoyment of smelling said food cooking all day long - was such a blessing on this busy day.  I adore the way crock pot cooking simplifies supper, especially in the winter.

Here is today's Dietrich family approved crock pot menu.

Chicken Burrito Bowls

3-4 frozen chicken breasts
1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes (I use ones that are fire roasted with green chilies added.)
1 cup chicken stock (sometimes more)
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 cup brown rice
1 15-ounce can black beans (I love black beans.  I sometimes double this and always use ones that have spices added.)
1 cup frozen corn

Throw the chicken, tomatoes, 1/2 cup chicken stock, and spices in the crockpot at breakfast.  Yurn it on high.  Stir things occasionally until about 1:30.  At (about) 1:30 shred the chicken.  It is usually super tender at this point and shreds easily.

After the chicken is shredded add the rest and turn to low.  Stir occasionally until dinner time.  Add more liquid if necessary and turn to warm if it is starting to get too done.

We top these with avocado, various salsas, tomatoes, cheese, lettuce, black olives, etc...  They would be good rolled into burritos, too.   This is a fairly mild recipe, if you like things HOT add the spice you desire.  For us, using different variations of salsas and hot sauces works well as we have a variety of heat tolerances among our crew.

It does not look like a large recipe, but it makes a lot.  I always have at least 2 meals for our family.

Enjoy!

And remember to be in awe of the many tools and gadgets you have that make your life simply simple.