"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

From Roller Coasters to Reality

One year ago today we were returning from "the Great American Dream Vacation." A trip to Magic Kingdom was the gift we gave our kids for Christmas last year. It was a great trip. We have never played so hard with our kids! We have never laughed (or screamed) as much. It was WONDERFUL!

On the very same day as we were flying home from our amazing family vacation our Gebeyehu was also traveling. His destination was not one of dreams though. His destination was an orphanage in a BIG city far from the sights and sounds of home.

When we received Joshua Gebeyehu's referral paperwork and I read that he arrived at Sele Enat on the very day we were flying home from our dream vacation, I felt sucker punched. While we were on top of the mountain, he was in a deep valley. I am told he was not happy when he first arrived in Addis. Sister told me it would have broken my heart to see him so sad and weak. It also breaks my heart that I did not see him then. It brings tears to my eyes that my arms could not hold him and comfort him in that terrifying transition.

It is sobering to realize that in the midst of our joy, someone is hurting. Someone is desperate. Someone is alone. And while I have not been called to change the lives of many, I am honored to play a small part in changing the life of this one. I am also indebted to this one for changing me, for growing my vision, for giving me joy, for daring to love me so much.

Joshua Gebeyehu Chad D. you are an amazing gift!

Thank you for trusting and loving us. It is such a privelege to watch you "emerge"

Oh how we love you! How thankful we are that this Dec. 21st you are in our arms, full of giggles and hugs!

A year ago my heart was totally broken for this son I had yet to meet or even see. Today I am in awe that he is HERE. That he is safe. That he is loved! That he is silly! That he is loving! That he is growing! That he is my son!

Today I went to get my haircut, while Daddy and Joshua went out for lunch. Joshua was so proud to tell me that he had "DIET COKE" with Daddy. Chad told him mommy would say no, no, no and Joshua told him "Daddy diet coke please!" Joshua won! And I am glad! Because daddy's and son's are supposed to bond over "safe" wildness that mommy does not allow.

While they were eating lunch, Chad bumped into a business associate. As this man was walking away he said, "Merry Christmas!" Joshua said, "Christmas... happy birthday to you Jesus!"

It makes me cry to type this because I am so thankful that what excited Joshua about Christmas is that it is Jesus' birthday! He has not interest in Santa. He does not understand that there are presents with things he will LOVE under the Christmas tree. He just knows that the story of angels and shepherds and a mommy and a baby Jesus is what it is all about. He loves to play with my nativity scenes. He loves to read books about the baby born in the barn. He loves to pretend he is baby Jesus "mah tah mah tah" in the hay. Jesus is absolutely the focus of his Christmas. It is so pure and so beautiful!

AS is Joshua Gebeyehu's love for his family

Joshua LOVES this picture. He squeals every time he sees it. He yells "FAMILY PICTURE! JOSHUA, MOMMY, DADDY, KRISSY, JAMISON, SIERRA, BRENNA...FAMILY!"

Every time I hear him proudly name our family, I am so grateful. I am grateful that he loves to be a part of our family. I am grateful that he makes me remember what a treasure it is to be a part of a family.

"The Lord has done great things for us and we are filled with joy." Psalm 126:3

I know family can be hard. I know that family can hurt us more than any friend or stranger. I know that those hurts are hard to let go of - they are hurts I have not been immune from. But I challenge each of us to be thankful for the family ties that we have this Christmas season. To forgive and accept and to love more fully - not just for the week, but for the years to come.

I also challenge each of us to have a pure heart this Christmas. To remember that it is not about a clean house, perfect gifts, yummy food, all the family being in the right place at the right time - but that it is simply (and complexly) Jesus Birthday!

Thank you Lord Jesus for all the great things You have done for us. We choose joy. Joy in You. May you be honored and glorified in the way we celebrate your birthday this week.