"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Friday, December 24, 2010

Happy Birthday to You, Jesus (Part 2)... Christmas with the Hoffs

This Christmas for the first time in MANY years all of Chad's siblings were together. So cool! And all the kids and all the grandkids in ONE place constitutes a photo shoot - not so popular with the teenagers - but Aunt Teresa made it quick and painless!


So we started Christmas early as all of Chad's siblings, his mom, and all the grandkids were able to hang out (and take some group pics) on Friday afternoon and evening. Pictures may not be a favorite activity, but we had so much fun the rest of the night! It was so fun to talk and laugh with Chad's family.
This is Joshua and his new favorite "toy" Molly. He loved playing with Molly. Poor patient Molly! When we told Joshua Molly was tired of him walking her (really dragging her around the house on her leash) he figured he could hold her (really keep her captive) in the dolly playpen.

This is Grammy and Joshua making "cookies."

This is Brenna cornering (or maybe having a conversation with) Uncle Jeremy. Uncle Jeremy is Aunty Teresa's husband and we are so lucky to have him in our family. He is a wonderful Uncle. All our kids adore him - and NOT just because he has the coolest boat ever - but because he is kind and fun and thoughtful. When Aunty Teresa and Uncle Jeremy got married last January we ALL scored BIG time!

Oh, I wish you could have all watched mt family playing with the Kinnect system. It was so funny! I seriously start laughing thinking about it! I will keep most of the pictures in the family, but here is a glimpse of Uncle Reed, a true track star, ready to take on Sierra in a Kinnect race. Hilarious! Uncle Reed made a sneaky video of Aunty Teresa and Aunty Emily which I will never be allowed to post - but rest assured there was much laughter involved!

While the adults were being silly, Jeremy played with the littles.


It was such a fun night! I wish we all lived closer and could have them monthly!

Since the cousins do not see each other much, sleepovers were in order. The teenagers stayed at our house and a sleepover would not be the correct word as they did NOT sleep. Chad and I were upstairs so we did not notice too much, but poor Teresa and Jeremy! The one thing good thing about late nights is they make for quiet mornings! Even Joshua Gubs slept until 8:30! We enjoyed a quiet morning (except for Chad who got up at 3AM to move snow).

Mid-morning Joshua found Jamison's Nerf gun. He loved it!
Anyone who knows Chad knows that he can not resist a boy with a gun! So, I was able to photograph Joshua's first shooting lesson.

It works a little better Daddy's way! (I love to watch my husband being a daddy!)

Soon the kitchen was overtaken by wonderful helpers,so I went downstairs to (avoid the work of meal prep) play with the kids.


Soon... but not soon enough for the kids it was present time!

Tyler and Jamison - two of the sleepless trio - cousins are so fun. They are instant friends each time you get together. I am thankful for sleeplessness when they get to be together! They can sleep anytime, but it is not very often they get to hang out.

These are Chad's Grandparents. We adore them! We had the honor of having them and all of their children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren in our home this afternoon. It is so cool to think about how the love, commitment, hard-work, values, passions, and dedication of these two have been passed throughout their family. We are so blessed to have them!
We had 37 people in our basement! Crazy! But FUN!







Grammy found Joshua a really fun remote control firetruck. He was really excited trying it!


The adults do a white elephant gift exchange. One gift has "reappeared" each year. This year Uncle Jim was the lucky recipient of the "Monkey Butt Bath Set." This is probably only funny if you are family, but for family it is a hoot!


It was a good day! It was a good mix between a quite morning and a wild afternoon/evening.


Having a big crowd over has gotten so much easier, but I am still very aware of how Joshua is doing. Is he feeling safe? Is he feeling connected to me? Is he hugging person "x" because he wants to and feels safe? Or is it out of insecurity? Or is it because he feels "expected" to? Is he checking in with me? Or is he taking care of himself and feeling unsupported?


This watching and questioning has become part of parenting for both Chad and myself. We discussed it after everyone left. How we both watched Joshua be "passed" around more than we have ever allowed while wondering... Wondering if he was really OK. Wondering if it would cause a sleepless night, rejection of us tomorrow, or nothing.


I would watch him climb on one persons lap and think, good choice, you know this person well. I would watch him choose not to go to another person and think - good job! You know who you do and do not know. And then a cousin would walk in (that he had never met) and he would throw himself in her arms and I would worry a bit. Not like I have in the past, because he is so much more secure in his relationship with me, but still wonder...


This all struck me extra much as I watched other family members comfortably drop their little ones in the arms of an aunt or uncle the babe had not seen in months with ease and confidence. I too have done that in the past. And it was OK. It was easy. It was natural. It was expected. It was comfortable.


I miss that. I miss being glad to drop my child in the loving arms of family members and walking away without a concern. I question myself as much as others have questioned me. I do not always have all the answers. I shoot from the hip a lot! (And we must be doing a few things right, because we see Joshua becoming more and more connected and confident all the time.)

So... even though I do not have the same casual attidute about Joshua's interactions as I did with his older siblings - we are doing OK, more than OK, we are doing super! Joshua emerged happily and easily after the dust settled. He asked for the final family members to "beep ,beep" as they drove away and then went on with his play just the same as always. He was happy to have the house quiet. He was not needy or winy or pushing me away. He ate a HUGE supper (eating with a crowd is still a little hard), took a bath, and went to sleep nicely.


We are making it! He is awesome, but more importantly he is becoming confident. What a blessing that is!


One more Christmas to go! Santa is NOT coming - but mommy and daddy will fill the kids' stockings with treats tonight. Then after stockings and breakfast tomorrow, we head to my mom and dad's house. We had five kids sleeping by 8:45 tonight. So hopefully they will all be rested and ready for another fun day!




Thanks Hoffs for a wonderful day! Thanks for all the yummy food and all the work you did as I played! I am so blessed by my wonderful in-laws!