"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Conversations with Sierra

Sierra had a bummer of a week, so last night I decided a "date night" was in order. Sierra and I sneaked out of the house and went to a movie. After the movie we went for ice cream and had some great conversations. She is so incredibly brilliant, I wanted to share some of her thoughts with you.


She and I were talking about prayers. We were noting how many times we ask God for something and then forget to notice when he answers us. She reminded me that she had been praying for a little brother for years. I had seriously forgotten this (or perhaps blocked it our, as Krissy would say)! At least 2, maybe 3 years ago she started telling me that she really wanted another brother. I would laugh and tell her something about how fun babies are, but that her Dad and I had no plans to have another little one. She would respond with her trademark Sierra twinkle, " I am going to ask God to give me a baby brother!" I always laughed and told her she could ask God for anything, however a baby brother would certainly have to come from God because Mom and Dad were happy with life as is.


God certainly answered her prayer, in a different way than we would ever have imagined, how cool and fun and amazing is that? (I know of several children who are asking God for African siblings of their own... better watch out mom's and dad's! God listens, especially to the purity, faith, and sincerity of children.) I also love that Sierra recognized how God has answered her prayer. The entire loop takes my breath away. It is so beautiful, so perfect, so GOD.


In the next conversation she was asking me all kinds of things about when I was pregnant with my first four. She wanted to know what kind of foods I craved. I told her I was all about chocolate chip cookies and chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream when I was expecting Krissy. I got so chubby that pregnancy that I did not allow myself many cravings with her and Jamison. When I was pregnant with Brenna I felt pretty crummy at first. All that tasted good for weeks were cherry slushies. Krissy, Jamison, and Sierra could not understand why I got to eat them instead of food for supper.


Then I asked her if she had noticed what I had craved while waiting for Joshua. She laughed and said I could not be having craving because I was not pregnant. I argued that stress hormones give as many cravings as pregnancy hormones... what had I been craving? She laughed and shouted, "Cold Stone!" How right she is!


That got us talking about how waiting for Joshua is similar to being pregnant. I explained that when I was waiting for them they were growing in my belly, but Joshua Gebeyehu is growing in my heart. Sierra responded that my heart must be huge at this point because I was like 8 months pregnant. We had a giggle-fest over that one!


But she totally hit the mail on the head! When my belly babies were taking over every inch of my body, when their size made it hard to breath and sit and sleep, when I felt like my belly could not stretch another inch - it was time! It was time for them to be born. It was time to meet them. It was time to hold them. It was time to learn all about them.


Right now my heart feels exactly the same way as my body did before I gave birth. The incredible love I have for Joshua Gebeyehu makes it hard to breath, hard to concentrate, my heart can not grow much more - it is time! It is time for Joshua Gebeyehu to be born into our everyday life! It is time to meet him. It is time to hold him. It is time to learn everything about him.


Sierra, you are the wisest (and most fun) 10 year old I know! I had a blast with you last night! I am so thankful that God chose me to be your mom!